Glueless patches

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Here is a tube of Park glue. It's 50mm long.
I reckon that's your problem right there. :laugh:

Try cheap supermarket puncture kits. The Park ones are clearly over priced and short on materials.... :okay:

straas

Matt
I bought park tools glueless patches a few years ago as a get me home fix when needed, with the intention of patching properly once home.

Don't think I've ever had one fail, so never got round to the proper patching.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've had Park patches in my kit for years now, rarely had to use them but on the odd occasion when I have they've been faultless. I don't bother with glue anymore, just a spare tube and the Park patches.
I agree with the blue man, prepare the puncture site properly (sand it level and clean it) and you will have no issues. The Park patches come with a square of sandpaper.

I have used glueless ones for on-road repairs successfully but I couldn't imagine doing my at-home inner tube repair ritual without the smell of rubber solution. It just wouldn't be right. (It would probably work OK, but it might anger the puncture gods)

Just any ordinary puncture kit contains them. Like this one from Halfords
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/inner-tubes/halfords-puncture-repair-kit-661102.html

Unless by "old fashioned" you mean something dating back to before my memory of puncture kits (before the 70s)
Yes - but I have 2 kits and 3 larger tubes of glue (rubber solution really) - but no patches left - all the rest of the stuff in the kit it fine so I just need some decent patches.
When I was a kid every LBS sold them - now it seems to be just the glueless ones

They look similar to the ones I have already - bleedi' impossible to use
you take the backing off and stick them on - but if you try to get the plastic top cover off it just rips the patch
If you leave it until the patch is stuck you end up ripping the whole patch off the tube

the patch itself has a VERY thin red edge and the patch if just not strong enough to allow the plastic top cover to come off

the old ones I had years ago were thicker and basically the same as the ones in the kits

Feather edge patches..... :rolleyes:
OK - is there a proper way of separating the patch from the plastic covering??

although it is possible I have just got cheap ones

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
OK - is there a proper way of separating the patch from the plastic covering??

although it is possible I have just got cheap ones
Hopefully I'm understanding the situation right, but you don't take the thicker backing off to start. You only remove the thinner, clear film (which should come off very easily) and you leave the patch on that thicker backing, usually that's an opaque plastic or often a silver foil. Only when the glue on the tube is ready (tacky and almost dry) you apply the patch with the thick foil or plastic backing still attached, and press it all down. Finally you remove the backing once the patch is firmly stuck onto the tube.

If I've misunderstood (and your removal of the thin, clear protective film is causing the patch edges to lift), then they're likely just poorer quality patches. REMA Tip Top are decent.

Thanks for the hints
I have just watched a video from Part tools which said that I should be leaving the clear plastic backing ON and not remove it

WHich would explain why I'm having a problem

WHich is good because I proably have enough patches for several years of riding!!!

SO - problem solved - all I needed was some instructions - would have been nice if they came with the patches but whatever

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I do peel the plastic off (my OCD tendencies won't allow me to leave it on) but was going to suggest leaving the film on if it is causing problems as it won't do any harm. I didn't know that was the 'official' method.

I do peel the plastic off (my OCD tendencies won't allow me to leave it on) but was going to suggest leaving the film on if it is causing problems as it won't do any harm. I didn't know that was the 'official' method.
Thing I watched said it also helps by reducing friction with the tyre which can cause problems with the patch long term

never had that my self - but I suppose it could happen if the edge were less than perfectly stuck down

OP
OP
CharleyFarley

CharleyFarley

I reckon that's your problem right there. :laugh:

Try cheap supermarket puncture kits. The Park ones are clearly over priced and short on materials.... :okay:
I have two kits from a bike shop, with the same problem. From what I'm seeing in this thread, I'm going to get some glueless ones.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have used Lezyne stick-on patches for years and they have rarely if ever let me down. My son, on the other hand, doesn't seem to be able to get them to work at all. I've supervised him putting the patches on and his just fall off!

Top Bottom