Going to lbs and being nosey....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Pig

If you think about it a lot of the things you pay other people to do you could do yourself, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to. The people who go McDonald's could make their own burgers, you could bake your own bread. Sometimes it's best to, other times not.

Years ago friends of ours were having a new kitchen fitted. I said, 'you can do that yourself, it's not that hard'. Steve said 'But I get paid much more than a kitchen fitter charges, I'm better off going to work and paying him to do it'.

The reverse also happened. Another friend of mine took a few days off work to paint his livingroom. He was a council housing director at the time and I pointed out to him that he'd have been better off working the two days and paying a painter.

It's all about priorities. I remember needing a new back box for my first car, an Astra. The box cost about £35, I think it was, and it was £5 to fit it, this was about twenty years ago. I thought, 'stuff it, I'll fit it myself.

After a whole evening lying under the car in my girlfriend's dad's garage wrestling with a filthy, rusted on, exhaust, knocking the crap out of my hands I thought stuff this! Next time I'll pay the £5 and let someone else do it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
Some people don't feel confident (or don't have the time or inclination) doing jobs which to others seem really easy. I used to feel the same about chain and cassette replacements, but I'm ok doing that now.

Oh, cassettes are easy, you press 'Eject', fish the old one out and put the new one in, and close the door...;)

I suppose you might try to put the new one in upside down....

<realises this whole joke may be lost on a large proportion of younger forummers>

<sigh>

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Mr Pig said:
If you think about it a lot of the things you pay other people to do you could do yourself, but that doesn't mean it makes sense to. The people who go McDonald's could make their own burgers, you could bake your own bread. Sometimes it's best to, other times not.

Years ago friends of ours were having a new kitchen fitted. I said, 'you can do that yourself, it's not that hard'. Steve said 'But I get paid much more than a kitchen fitter charges, I'm better off going to work and paying him to do it'.

The reverse also happened. Another friend of mine took a few days off work to paint his livingroom. He was a council housing director at the time and I pointed out to him that he'd have been better off working the two days and paying a painter.

It's all about priorities. I remember needing a new back box for my first car, an Astra. The box cost about £35, I think it was, and it was £5 to fit it, this was about twenty years ago. I thought, 'stuff it, I'll fit it myself.

After a whole evening lying under the car in my girlfriend's dad's garage wrestling with a filthy, rusted on, exhaust, knocking the crap out of my hands I thought stuff this! Next time I'll pay the £5 and let someone else do it.

To an extent you are correct. OTOH I believe self taught mucking in at a skill that you don't do very often is a very important attribute lost. Yes things can be difficult or a pain in the backside, but in learning that skill it might change you and change your outlook in a small way.

OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Wait 10 days, for a 5min job? Its crazy.
But then yes, people do go to Mc D's when they could cook their own burgers.
But bike wise, i would have a go first. I remember sitting outside with my old kids mountain bike getting the back wheel off with my dads help, then getting the tyre off using spoons, then finding the puncture then patching it. Then putting everything back on. Dont remember it taking me too long.
It was like he thought it would be like a cars tyre i think, and that he wouldnt be able to get it off and do the work himself.;)

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Joe24 said:
Wait 10 days, for a 5min job? Its crazy.
But then yes, people do go to Mc D's when they could cook their own burgers.
But bike wise, i would have a go first. I remember sitting outside with my old kids mountain bike getting the back wheel off with my dads help, then getting the tyre off using spoons, then finding the puncture then patching it. Then putting everything back on. Dont remember it taking me too long.
It was like he thought it would be like a cars tyre i think, and that he wouldnt be able to get it off and do the work himself.;)

Great stuff Joe. You're already saying, "When I were a lad.........bla, bla, bla"

I think you're spending too much time with us grizzled old cynics:biggrin:

OP
OP
J

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
rich p said:
Great stuff Joe. You're already saying, "When I were a lad.........bla, bla, bla"

I think you're spending too much time with us grizzled old cynics:biggrin:

Nooooooooooooooooooooo:ohmy:
I'm going to go off to the park and drink some white lightning(now moved to the glass bottles;)) and shout abuse at passing people and be like the other teens today.

Blue

Legendary Member
I can fix a puncture, change tyres, adjust a saddle and fit pedals; anything else goes to the LBS. If I'd wanted to be a bike mechanic I wouldn't have bothered taking my degree - maybe others think the same. I only bother with what little I do because they are ongoing requirements and taking the bike to the shop each time would be more bother than doing the work. I couldn't care less about the cost of the repairs as my time is worth more than the chages.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Mr Pig said:

Umm having fitted a kitchen myself a few years ago and having the satisfaction of doing it I can quite understand why people would pay to have this done. I hate plumbing ! grrrrrrrr

Maz

Guru
Reading andy_wrx's post reminded me of a guy who had gone to the trouble of bringing his bike in to the LBS to complain angrily to the owner that he'd got a puncture only 2 days after it'd been serviced (as if being puncture-free was part of a service guarantee).

Blue said:
I can fix a puncture, change tyres, adjust a saddle and fit pedals; anything else goes to the LBS. If I'd wanted to be a bike mechanic I wouldn't have bothered taking my degree - maybe others think the same. I only bother with what little I do because they are ongoing requirements and taking the bike to the shop each time would be more bother than doing the work. I couldn't care less about the cost of the repairs as my time is worth more than the chages.

Did you dictate that to someone who is also reading the threads for you?

;)

Mr Pig

Blue said:
If I'd wanted to be a bike mechanic I wouldn't have bothered taking my degree

Ha ha ha, my point exactly :0)

having fitted a kitchen myself a few years ago and having the satisfaction of doing it...

I've done loads of things to my house and if one more person says to me 'oh you must get great satisfaction from it' I think I'm going to kill them! Satisfaction, bollocks. I'm sick of it. If I was that bright I'd have gotten a better job so that I wouldn't have to do all this crappy work myself.

Ho hum. I'm off to repair a brick fireplace. Anyone who would like the satisfaction of doing it for me is welcome to come round? :0)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some folk aren't at all practical - fortunately my son seems to be, and will help out with the bikes.

Friends asked my why their kid's 6 gear bikes chain got tangled when being pushed - can only think he'd knocked the gear changer and some how let it back pedal, fowling the mech..... it sorted itself out...but "We no nothing about bikes" ...eh...not exactly rocket science...

Then again, I am fairly practical, can change oil, plugs, pads, filters, elec window motors, etc on our cars....saves a fortune, and I know it's right. Anything 'technical' i.e. computer side of the car - it's off to a garage.

I've also built many a PC as well, easy... but not all of us are practical !

Not bad with DIY as well - but not coming to your house Mr Pig - had a few glasses of vino.....

rich p

ridiculous old lush
fossyant said:
I've also built many a PC as well, easy... but not all of us are practical !

Blimey, well done. Do you need a microscope to do all that soldering on the circuit boards?

Top Bottom