Good bikes for children

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Hi, I am looking into buying an Isla bike (Beinn 20 Small) for my eldest who is coming up to 7. Did other people who have gone down the Isla bikes route go to their showroom to get the child fitted or just rely on taking good measurements and making the match on their sizing chart?

I measured my child, decided the bike wouldn't fit but took him to see how far off it was - only to find that he just fitted. I don't know if it was because I measured him in sock soles perhaps and then he wore shoes when trying the bike.

domtyler

Über Member
Thanks for the info both, going to take the plunge and see how it works out. Just need to convince her that a basket for carrying a dolly is not a necessity now!

Bikes with stabilisers should be banned - Balance bikes are the way to go. both my sons rode bikes with stabilisers as we hadn't discovered balance bike, however, my daughter had a balance bike (Like A Bike) which was an exceptionally light aluminum bike - she could handle it easily at the age of 2. By the time she was 4 she was riding independently, at 5 she got an Isla Bike Beinn 20 Small

Isla bikes are great - yes they are expensive, however, you do get lots of money back when you come to resell - my Daughters Isla Bike cost about £250 (Beinn 20 small) we sold it after 3 years for £140 - it had been well used, but also well maintained - so will probably last for several more kids

Daughter went from Isla Bike to a Kona Stuff mountain bike (24 inch wheel). I will probably swap the heavy fork and get a lighter set of tyres

returningcyclist

Hi, I am looking into buying an Isla bike (Beinn 20 Small) for my eldest who is coming up to 7. Did other people who have gone down the Isla bikes route go to their showroom to get the child fitted or just rely on taking good measurements and making the match on their sizing chart?

First ever post on any board! In May, I was looking at an Isla Bike for my son, as he wanted to start competing in Triathlons (Tristar 1) and this was the advice I was given. I found Frog Bikes and though a tiny bit heavier, they are cheaper, look good and have excellent reviews. They work through any local bike shop and Chevin Cycles seemed very happy to find a direct competitor to Isla that they could order/stock. My son is competing successfully on his orange Frog
bike and is very happy with it and regularly beating more experienced cyclists on their Isla bikes. Not that I am a competitive parent!

Eagone

Took 7 year old son on a bike ride with his mates and their dads, he has a Halfords heavy motorbike looking bike (looks great) but wish I'd thought more about the weight before buying, one lad had a Islabike - great looking and about 5kg lighter than my sons - great bit of kit although expensive. The other lad has a 'Frog' hybrid kids bike another light option with some great components. Looks like its going to be an expensive birthday in February.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Took 7 year old son on a bike ride with his mates and their dads, he has a Halfords heavy motorbike looking bike (looks great) but wish I'd thought more about the weight before buying, one lad had a Islabike - great looking and about 5kg lighter than my sons - great bit of kit although expensive. The other lad has a 'Frog' hybrid kids bike another light option with some great components. Looks like its going to be an expensive birthday in February.
They may be expensive in comparison to a Halfords bike, but they hold their value. I sold my son's bike for the most of what I paid for it (and that was to my sister, I had given her previous bikes but I needed to fund the next bike. Someone sold the identical bike online the same week for the price I had paid 3 years earlier).

Ellillowladex

Regular

Bought my 9 year old daughter a "Frog" for Xmas, great little bike, the geometry reminds me of the old Kona / Joe Murray frames :becool:, and come with good sensible components too, no weighty suspension nonsense here!
She loves the fact that it's a lot lighter than her older & smaller Halfords bike - though a little (1kg) heavier than its Islabike counterpart - the "Frog" is a little cheaper too!:thumbsup:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
My LBS had told me they were launching a range to rival Islabikes back in Feb, but nice to see the actual bikes, and they do look similar, I will have to wait to see them in the flesh.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've seen a frog bike and it looked quite nice (I see the child every couple of weeks on my commute cycling to school with her Mum). I think Islabikes have the edge on Frog bikes but the Frog bikes are cheaper.

Andyg63

[QUOTE 1739811, member: 45"]People often ask what bikes are good for children. Here are a few of my random thoughts-

• Bike manufacturers often farm out design of children's bikes to their new staff -the result being that children's bike design often isn't as good as it should be.
  • Consider proportions. You may be able to pick a bike up easily and it might not feel heavy to you, but imagine how it would feel if you were half the size.
  • Similarly, little people with smaller dimensions fare better on machines with smaller dimensions. Is the bike you're looking at built with adult-sized components, tubing, handlbars, grips....?
  • Simple is best. It might look fancy to have full suspension, a plastic exhaust pipe and a dolly strapped to the back, but if your aim is to get a child into cycling rather than playing then it won't help.
  • Children will do what they find easiest. Give them the easiest, most comfortable bike to ride and they're likely to last longer on it.
  • Don't buy bikes with loads of growing room. Buying an adult's MTB for a child who can just touch the floor with their toes might save you some money, but the poor child will be wobbling around on a machine which is far too big, harder to control and more dangerous.
  • Childrens bikes are generally referred to by wheel size rather than frame size.
So, what's good?

1. Starter bikes. If you want to get them on two wheels as early as possible, then these days there is a good range of 'walking bikes' available. These are stripped-down bikes with no pedals. They're design so that you just sit your toddler on the bike, with their feet flat on the floor, and leave them to it. They'll start to walk the bike around. After a while, and maybe with the minimum of encouragement, they'll find themselves lifting their feet up for longer periods of time. Within a very short space of time, and with no anxiety, they'll have learned to ride on 2 wheels. And then when they're big enough for bikes with pedals the transition will be easy.
  2. In my view the best brand of bike for children is Islabikes, without a doubt. Islabikes are committed to addressing all of the issues mentioned above. So you'll get light, appropriate and easy to ride bikes. They might be expensive, but when you sell the bike on you'll get most of your money back. I've just sold a 4-year-old 16"-wheeled Islabike for £20 less than I originally paid for it.
  3. Below 24"-wheel sized children's bikes there isn't much to match Islabikes. There are some European brands, but other than that you get what you pay for. All decent bike brands do a childrens range, but you'll compromise quality and suitability with any price saving.
  4. 24" wheel and above and your child is getting nearer to adult proportions and there are plenty of decent bikes around. Remember though that front suspension is heavy and adds to the cost of manufacturing a bike, and I really don't think it brings any benefit unless you're going properly off-road.
Those are my 5 minute ramblings. Incomplete, but here's where others get to add their views and experience.....[/QUOTE]

I have just bought my 7yr old a bike. Found it very difficult finding anything that was reasonable quality that wasn't crazy price. Spoilt for choice with adult bike but very little for kids.
Andyg63

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have just bought my 7yr old a bike. Found it very difficult finding anything that was reasonable quality that wasn't crazy price. Spoilt for choice with adult bike but very little for kids.
Andyg63

How much would you say is a crazy price?

Next year I am looking at buying my 4 year old a bigger bike. Probably a Specialized Hotrock 16. (he currently has a Hotrock 12) At the moment the price is £170. That in my book is quite reasonable for a quality bike that will last him a few years.

Andyg63

How much would you say is a crazy price?

Next year I am looking at buying my 4 year old a bigger bike. Probably a Specialized Hotrock 16. (he currently has a Hotrock 12) At the moment the price is £170. That in my book is quite reasonable for a quality bike that will last him a few years.

When I say quality I'm referring to components that go on them also the weight is over 10 kg, way to heavy for a child. Would have liked more choice don't regard 2 as much of a choice considering how many adult bikes we can chose from.
Andyg

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Frog
Islabikes
Specialized
Dawes
Ridgeback
Pinnacle

All have very decent kids bikes.
OK nowhere near as many brands as adults, but it is getting better.

Top Bottom