Grab the popcorn & pull up a chair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Criminal behaviour by the driver. Not sure there's any laws against riding a bike 'trick style' on public roads.

I don't think they had pedal reflectors.

icowden

Veteran
Criminal behaviour by the driver. Not sure there's any laws against riding a bike 'trick style' on public roads.

There are :-

• Cycle carelessly, meaning without due care and attention or reasonable consideration for other road users (£1000 max fine), or dangerously £2500 max fine). The test for these offences replicates that for careless and dangerous driving, so careless is a standard below that of a competent and careful cyclist, and dangerous is far below that standard and it must also be obviously dangerous to a competent and careful cyclist. It's the 'reasonable consideration for other road users' point which occasionally causes difficulty, with some police officers interpreting this incorrectly as a requirement for cyclists to move over to allow cars to overtake, forgetting that cyclists often assume the primary position to discourage unsafe overtaking.

PK99

Legendary Member
RTA 1988

28Dangerous cycling.​

(1)A person who rides a cycle on a road dangerously is guilty of an offence.

(2)For the purposes of subsection (1) above a person is to be regarded as riding dangerously if (and only if)—

(a)the way he rides falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful cyclist, and

(b)it would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist that riding in that way would be dangerous.

(3)In subsection (2) above “dangerous” refers to danger either of injury to any person or of serious damage to property; and in determining for the purposes of that subsection what would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist in a particular case, regard shall be had not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused.]

Textual Amendments
F1S. 28 substituted (1.7.1992) by Road Traffic Act 1991 (c. 40, SIF 107:1), s. 7; S.I. 1992/1286, art. 2,Sch.

29Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling.​

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

F2...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
RTA 1988

28Dangerous cycling.​

(2)For the purposes of subsection (1) above a person is to be regarded as riding dangerously if (and only if)—

(a)the way he rides falls far below what would be expected of a competent and careful cyclist, and

(b)it would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist that riding in that way would be dangerous.

(3)In subsection (2) above “dangerous” refers to danger either of injury to any person or of serious damage to property; and in determining for the purposes of that subsection what would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist in a particular case, regard shall be had not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused.]

Textual Amendments
F1S. 28 substituted (1.7.1992) by Road Traffic Act 1991 (c. 40, SIF 107:1), s. 7; S.I. 1992/1286, art. 2,Sch.

29Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling.​

If a person rides a cycle on a road without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road, he is guilty of an offence.

F2...
Blimey, I'd better watch out on my next visit to UK.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
No, but doing it in the middle of the road in heavy evening traffic might not be a good idea.

the traffic looks heavy (and slow) in the opposite direction. Only one vehicle in the same lane in the video, and that seemingly deliberately rams into a cyclist

As for those pointing out 'dangerous cycling'... look up careless/dangerous driving first, then ask yourself if the cyclist caused harm to any other road user :okay:

PK99

Legendary Member
the traffic looks heavy (and slow) in the opposite direction. Only one vehicle in the same lane in the video, and that seemingly deliberately rams into a cyclist

As for those pointing out 'dangerous cycling'... look up careless/dangerous driving first, then ask yourself if the cyclist caused harm to any other road user :okay:

You implied a question by expressing lack of knowledge.

You were informed about the law.

No other views were expressed or implied.

DRM

Guru
That is appalling, regardless of what the lad on the bike was up to, that could have ended up with him having life changing injuries, or being killed, I personally think the driver should be found put on a bike & rammed at speed by a car, see how clever they think it is after that

icowden

Veteran

Dangerous cycling.​

(3)In subsection (2) above “dangerous” refers to danger either of injury to any person or of serious damage to property; and in determining for the purposes of that subsection what would be obvious to a competent and careful cyclist in a particular case, regard shall be had not only to the circumstances of which he could be expected to be aware but also to any circumstances shown to have been within the knowledge of the accused.

I think a good Barrister would argue that for (3), this includes the person riding the bike and it does not require that the person nor the property has to be damaged, only that they are in danger of injury / damage. Given that if the lad falls off, there is a very good chance of him damaging several cars as he bounces off the bonnet / windscreen, I think it is very arguable that this would fall into the category of dangerous cycling.

Not withstanding that, the driver *also* should be charged with dangerous driving as the standard of his driving would seem to be well below that of a reasonable driver. He almost deliberately rams the lad off the bike.

Short summary, the lad on the bike is being a c*ckwomble, this does not give the driver the right to try and kill him with a very unsafe overtake, however irritated that driver might be.

PK99

Legendary Member
I think a good Barrister would argue that for (3), this includes the person riding the bike and it does not require that the person nor the property has to be damaged, only that they are in danger of injury / damage. Given that if the lad falls off, there is a very good chance of him damaging several cars as he bounces off the bonnet / windscreen, I think it is very arguable that this would fall into the category of dangerous cycling.

A few years ago, in the Before Times, at the A24 junction down from Ranmore, two motorbikers stopped at the lights pulled Wheelies as they drove off. The anonymous blue car behind them promptly switched on his Blues&Twos and chased them down.

I would respectfully disagree - riding a bicycle stupidly down (even a busy) street does not make the following likely:
"injury to any person or of serious damage to property;"

You stating "bounces off the bonnet/windscreen" is hyperbole IMO, and still not likley to cause serious property damage nor injury. A minor scrape is far more likely if - and only if - things go wrong and a collision occurs. Anyone with experience of using our roads will know that a collision is possible, but unlikely, especially if other road users are driving sensibly.

Nevertheless, this is a good summary:
Short summary, the lad on the bike is being a c*ckwomble, this does not give the driver the right to try and kill him with a very unsafe overtake, however irritated that driver might be.

Alex321

Veteran

The fact the driver was very clearly in the wrong doesn't excuse the cyclist.

The cyclist was also clearly in breach of section 29 of the Road Traffic Act.

29Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling.

There is no doubt, the motorist's offence was more serious, but both were at fault.

icowden

Veteran
The fact the driver was very clearly in the wrong doesn't excuse the cyclist.

The cyclist was also clearly in breach of section 29 of the Road Traffic Act.

29Careless, and inconsiderate, cycling.

There is no doubt, the motorist's offence was more serious, but both were at fault.

Yes, I think there is a CPS case for both :becool:.

icowden

Veteran
You stating "bounces off the bonnet/windscreen" is hyperbole IMO, and still not likley to cause serious property damage nor injury. A minor scrape is far more likely if - and only if - things go wrong and a collision occurs. Anyone with experience of using our roads will know that a collision is possible, but unlikely, especially if other road users are driving sensibly.
Well I think we have the legal representation in place!!^_^

Top Bottom