Gradients on Strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I live in Norfolk where to go climbing we quite literally have to make mountains out of molehills - I currently have two KOMs which my missus likes to mock ("Mountains!? They're barley even pancakes!"). But anyway, having found the steepest "mountain" around here I checked the segment on Strava and it says 0.2 19ft 1.2%!!! 1.2!!? Running over a crisp packet must more than 1.2%! Has anyone else found this - or am I simply clueless as to what a hill actually looks like?
Strava is a bit 'dickish' with gradients. I've got a few nasty little kickers near where I live, one of which gets to 25% at the top ( Blissford hill ). Strava gives it an 'average' of 9%, because the first couple of hundred yards of the road point slightly downwards. Oh well, never mind.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for that link. I've just learned something (mildly) interesting.

The GPX files my GPS produces don't identify the recording device. I don't know if there is a "device" element buried somewhere in the GPX schema, but even if there is my device doesn't use it.

So that's why Strava only identifies my uploads as "GPX", rather than "Garmin Oregon". And it also means that Strava will replace all my device elevation data, because it doesn't know I have a barometric altimiter.

Not a problem, but interesting. I only use Strava for century rides (to participate I'm in a century hunting club thingy). I upload them like I do for any site: Connect my GPS as a USB drive, point and click to the file and upload it.

I guess Strava now has a significant base of crowd-sourced elevation data of its own. Of course the extent to which they can use this data, and the extent to which it's the property of the contributors is probably a moot point (and a subject of the Ts & Cs of Strava).

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Data is the same as anything else - you get what you pay for.

For almost all Strava users that's nothing, so the accuracy of the data should be viewed in that context.

Siclo

Veteran

And it also means that Strava will replace all my device elevation data, because it doesn't know I have a barometric altimiter.

If you want to get the barometric figure into Strava:

1) Copy the tracklog to your PC
2) Open it with Notepad
3) CTRL F (find) for creator and it will say something like <gpx creator="Oregon" ............
4) Change it to <gpx creator="Oregon with Barometer".......
5) Save

Upload to Strava and you will have the barometric figure in your ride

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks. I probably won't do that, but it's interesting to know all the same. I was tempted to go and start reading up about the GPX schema, but the time wasting possibilities seemed to great.

Milkfloat

An Peanut

The GPX files my GPS produces don't identify the recording device. I don't know if there is a "device" element buried somewhere in the GPX schema, but even if there is my device doesn't use it.

So that's why Strava only identifies my uploads as "GPX", rather than "Garmin Oregon". And it also means that Strava will replace all my device elevation data, because it doesn't know I have a barometric altimiter.

Not a problem, but interesting. I only use Strava for century rides (to participate I'm in a century hunting club thingy). I upload them like I do for any site: Connect my GPS as a USB drive, point and click to the file and upload it.

I guess Strava now has a significant base of crowd-sourced elevation data of its own. Of course the extent to which they can use this data, and the extent to which it's the property of the contributors is probably a moot point (and a subject of the Ts & Cs of Strava).

Do you use Garmin Connect? I assume that if you use Garmin Connect and it is linked to your Strava account, then it will 'just work'.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Do you use Garmin Connect? I assume that if you use Garmin Connect and it is linked to your Strava account, then it will 'just work'.
No. Garmin Connect is a newfangled thingy that I've never bothered to investigate. I just connect my device as a USB drive and grab the files that way. Or else I have an ancient version of Mapsource running for other interface needs. Sometimes I grudgingly fire up BaseCamp but I think it's rubbish.

The problem with it "just working" is that I may want to edit the files first. For instance, I may have left the device recording on a train afterwards and want to trim it. Or maybe I ran out of Garmin battery near the end of the ride and switched to my phone and I may want to splice two files together.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member

1) Copy the tracklog to your PC
2) Open it with Notepad
3) CTRL F (find) for creator and it will say something like <gpx creator="Oregon" ............
4) Change it to <gpx creator="Oregon with Barometer".......
5) Save

Upload to Strava and you will have the barometric figure in your ride

That is what I do, was fed up of losing 25-30% of my elevation

Top Bottom