Graeme Obree..................

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know the legendary Mr O likes to think outside the box with his bike designs, but there can't be any benefit to be gained from the position of the levers on this bike. This has got to wreak havoc on your wrists under braking IMO.

(from an article in this weeks Cycling Weekly)
Obree2.jpg

Obree1.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Looks a bit odd but if it works for him what does it matter?

Gary E

Veteran
It looks to be pulling his body into a slightly more aerodynamic position, sort of like part way towards where you'd be when using Aero-bars?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Graeme always does what he wants - it works for him.

I was at the IOM International weeks in the 90's and Mr Obree would be there with all his positions. We'd chuckle as he looked really odd, but he'd kick everyone's arse. Love the guy to bits. Raced in enough TT's with him to realise he and Chris Boardman were way above everyone else.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS I reccon it's related to the new record breaking bike having an unusual set up, so he is replicating it as best he can on his road bike.

OP
OP
smokeysmoo

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
Looks a bit odd but if it works for him what does it matter?
It doesn't on the whole, but if an aspiring youngster decides to emulate the great MR O but ends up with an injury because of it then perhaps it might matter slightly more?

I'm not crtisising it per say, just wondering what possible benefit could be gleaned from it. I've seen a lot of badly set up bikes over the years but never one so oddly set up on the bike of someone with his experience. As you say, "if it works for him", unless it was just that days experiment for him. It just got me wondering why that's all.

Ride safe :thumbsup:

Top Bottom