graphic design final project

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
got my final project proposal approved today ;)

"Cycle safe:
Young people often get to university and find themselves with a bit less money and needing to travel greater distances without being able to beg a lift from a parent or a bus headed in the correct direction and so resort to cycling, cheap, easy and convenient.

unfortunately 16,561 cyclists were killed in 2005 on Britain’s roads, partly due to driver attitudes to cyclists and not knowing how to drive near them but also these new cyclists riding, possibly for the first time in a city centre and not knowing how to move with the traffic and be seen.
other things these new cyclists may not be aware of is how best to secure their bike, resulting in it being stolen or parts stolen, leaving a number of half bikes locked to railings round university.

University’s around the country and ‘Cycle Safe’ want to put together an ongoing campaign advising both drivers and cyclists of how to use a city centre safely through web, print and other media that is accessible and interactive. "

basically its a friendly resorce where people can look up how to tackle a bit of their route safely, how to fix minor problems with their bikes (eg, replace a cable or brake blocks - i'm not sheldon brown!) how to choose a bike and lock it so that they keep hold of it, basically the FAQ's we get on here often.

so, where can i get a copy of cyclecraft from cheaply? :smile:
what are people's thoughts on it?

I think you need to check your stats - 16,561 cyclists were not killed in 2005 on Britain's roads. Do you mean injured? Or is it a typo?

S

Will1985

Über Member
Pushing tin said:
unfortunately 16,561 cyclists were killed in 2005 on Britain’s roads
We must be a very lucky bunch on here then!

According to official DfT statistics:
The number of pedal cyclists killed fell by 7 per cent from 146 in 2006 to 136 in 2007. The number of seriously injured rose by 6 per cent to 2,428. The total casualties among pedal cyclists remained at the same level as 2006.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'd do an image search on Rodchenko. Nobody has ever mixed text and images as well as he did.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
simon_adams_uk said:
I think you need to check your stats - 16,561 cyclists were not killed in 2005 on Britain's roads. Do you mean injured? Or is it a typo?

S

its a miss-quote, i grabbed the figures off a site after a quick google search, i'd presume they're figures for killed or injured.

OP
OP
Black Sheep
Ok, I've been reading cyclecraft (courtesy of the library) and i'm trying to figure out what information would need to be portraied on the site, if you think of it as an easy access condenced version of cyclecraft, a way of getting essential information to someone who just wants to bike to the shops etc but doesn't know how to start, so far i've come up with some main sections;

Begining - how to choose the right bike and make sure it fits (since some people will choose to go second hand and so won't get the benefit of bike shop advice)

Using roads - positioning, junctions, signaling etc

Maintinance - just keeping the bike going, Oiling, tightening cables, advice to help people not be ripped off by parts being replaced that don't need to be (eg someone in beginers kept being told the whole V brake needed replacing, not just the pads) i'm not sheldon brown or park tools, more bike maintinance can be easily found elsewhere.

Hazards - what dangers are out there, what to avoid, how to see danger unfolding eg, the classic truck sat in the right hand lane but signaling left

Security - how to make sure your bike will be there when you come back to it.

route planning - how to manipulate google maps, what kind of roads to avoid etc.

any ideas for what else should be in these or what other main sections (there will be sub sections) please sugest away :thumbsup:

many thanks :biggrin:

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
how about a section on spelling?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
What do the colour associations mean?
Green - go, enviromentally friendly
Yellow - don't like the combo with the purple words, can be a warning colour
White - looks like the normal road paint
Orange - I quite like that one - can be a warning colour too but less in your face.

Have you checked out the logo for colour-blindness?

(Is that of any help - ignore if not)

Top Bottom