Hackney council and RLJ cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I don't run red lights.
As I have said, me neither.
It pisses off motorists if cyclists do.
Some, perhaps. Oh well.
I can't really blame them for behaving badly towards cyclists if they habitually ponce about.
Some motorists have a pretty low threshold for what constitutes poncing about, almost as if it’s the mere presence of cyclists that’s the problem.

But back to the question. How (in)flexible is your own morality?
Can you really say that you never ever bend or break any rules, arrogantly or otherwise?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
As I have said, me neither.

Some, perhaps. Oh well.

Some motorists have a pretty low threshold for what constitutes poncing about, almost as if it’s the mere presence of cyclists that’s the problem.

But back to the question. How (in)flexible is your own morality?
When you decide that the law is not important enough to conform to your own personal, selfish values, I think we have a problem.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mjr , red lights do not exist to punish cyclists. They are there to control traffic. Neither drivers or cyclists can be trusted enough to do without them, whatever we may think.
And yet, loads of cycleway-cycleway junctions work without them, some at very high capacities, as in the posted video.

I know red lights don't exist to punish cyclists, but that is one of their effects.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I don't run red lights either... in so much that no one sees me run a red light... and if no one saw it, it didn't happen, right? :whistle:

ps. what's the view like from the moral high ground?
Refreshingly free of double standards.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Maybe not: the first traffic lights were installed to address problems caused by road-hogging horse carriage drivers. It seems drivers were awful even before they got cars.
according to Wiki... "The main reason for the traffic light was that there was an overflow of horse-drawn traffic over Westminster Bridge which forced thousands of pedestrians to walk next to the Houses of Parliament." ...so maybe just to keep the riff-raff away from our lords and masters? :whistle:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
...which is that motorists cannot be trusted to negotiate and merge nicely, as they prove repeatedly. It is a great shame that cyclists are punished in at least two major ways for this failure of motoring: once by having red lights; and second by being fined if they dare ignore this motorist protection measure.

My favourite cycling crossroads video has been taken down, so here's a slightly quieter junction:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQSwQLDIK8

Class! A video of an equally busy junction in UK would be “interesting” ;)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Class! A video of an equally busy junction in UK would be “interesting” ;)
Do we have many cycle route junctions that busy in the UK? I've ridden the Surrey Street-Hobson Street fork in Cambridge amid hundreds of cycle commuters (and I got it wrong and put myself into the kerb!) but I can't find video of it.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
...which is that motorists cannot be trusted to negotiate and merge nicely, as they prove repeatedly. It is a great shame that cyclists are punished in at least two major ways for this failure of motoring: once by having red lights; and second by being fined if they dare ignore this motorist protection measure.

My favourite cycling crossroads video has been taken down, so here's a slightly quieter junction:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQSwQLDIK8

Were you referring to the Koningsplein webcam? I wasted far too much time watching the live feed, especially during the rush hour, shaking my head in complete wonder. Just when you thought it couldn't get more bonkers, along comes a tram.

[media]

]View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0Owsc-Xz0[/media]

• Wow
Reactions: mjr
Top Bottom