Hand built vs Factory built wheels....which do we think is best and why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I have a mix of factory and hand built. Mostly factory TBH.

Handbuilt - you have a choice of hubs/rims and spokes. Makes a lot of sense if these are a commuter wheel, or need additional strength, or are easily repairable on a tour. I prefer hand builts (by me) on my commuter as I can swap out a rim (rim brakes) when it wears out, saving money - I probably get two years out of rims now - used to be 18 months when doing five days a week.

Other bikes, not too fussed, and have off the peg factory wheels - main stipulation is that bearings are replaceable without special tools.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I retire, learning to build/true wheels will be on my list. But what bothers me is that if I become halfway good at it, my wheels will last ages and I won't get to practice. And in the meantime I imagine there's quite a learning curve.

But at least then I'll be able to join in the angry wheelbuilder argument threads. We haven't had one of those for a while but they can be very passionate. And utterly incomprehensible to the uninitiated.

newts

Veteran
When I retire, learning to build/true wheels will be on my list. But what bothers me is that if I become halfway good at it, my wheels will last ages and I won't get to practice. And in the meantime I imagine there's quite a learning curve.

But at least then I'll be able to join in the angry wheelbuilder argument threads. We haven't had one of those for a while but they can be very passionate. And utterly incomprehensible to the uninitiated.

The facebook wheelbuilders group is a very dark place at times, far worse than the NACA forum. :biggrin:

All uphill

Still rolling along

A couple of years after retiring I built my first set of wheels with the help of youtube. I expected them to be wobbly and more square than round and, sure, they needed truing a couple of times in the first few months, but since then they have just gone round and round for about 5000 miles.

The way to improve your wheelbuilding skills is to buy more old, neglected bikes or put the word out that you have the skill - you'll be surprised who turns up on your doorstep.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Wheel building isn't the black art people think it is. Once the wheel has been laced correctly it's just a case of tightening them till the wheel is round and under correct tension. Lacing is probably the most difficult part as spokes need to go on in a specific order. It does take time to learn but to be honest, it isn't rocket science. It requires more patience than skill.

Speaking of nipples
1710210891755.jpeg

These came off an old klunker that came my way, and not sure why they went out of fashion.
With a small socket/screwdriver combo they're real easy to use when building a wheel, way better than the slotted head on most other nipples.

Must get round to cleaning them pliers one day :laugh:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Speaking of nipples
These came off an old klunker that came my way, and not sure why they went out of fashion.
With a small socket/screwdriver combo they're real easy to use when building a wheel, way better than the slotted head on most other nipples.
Significantly more metal required for those hex heads. I can see they'd be easier, particularly when the spoke end finishes high in the nipple and the builder is using a normal screwdriver. Though that likely means a spoke 2mm shorter would've been better.
Wheel building isn't the black art people think it is. Once the wheel has been laced correctly it's just a case of tightening them till the wheel is round and under correct tension. Lacing is probably the most difficult part as spokes need to go on in a specific order. It does take time to learn but to be honest, it isn't rocket science. It requires more patience than skill.
Rocket science is straightforward (like building a wheel): it's rocket engineering which is a significant challenge.
I suggest you have jumped to lacing (and agree all you say) but getting the right length spokes is a challenge (which I'm up to) and while not a black art i can see why people shy away from it.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Well-built is my choice. You shouldn't discriminate a product based on the manufacturing process.

There's plenty of examples of companies taking advantage of 'hand built' slogan to sell their crappy products at an extra - even going as far as including the names of the manufacturing operatives that put them together - the name 'Jaguar' comes to mind here.

For standard spoked wheels, you can build them better by hand. For a start, you can reject wonky rims , the type that mean chosing between even tension and a true rim

presta

Guru
I prefer Presta-built, I wouldn't go back.

It is fascinating that we all want homemade wheels and indeed cakes but not say a homemade car! But as others have said I like to specify what I want to the wheel builder and still view wheel building as a craft.
Cars aren't really possible to make at home, neither are wheel components for that matter, it's only the assembly that can be done at home.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I think the OP intended to ask about machine-built versus hand-built wheels. Both can be produced in factories. Wheels that are machine-built and hand-finished should be no worse than hand-built ones. Those that are entirely machine-built are mostly found on cheap bikes. But you can still improve a machine-built wheel by judicious use of a spoke key.

Top Bottom