Handlebar space saver / extender

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Plax

Guru
I have aye up lights. I've been given an Ortlieb handlebar bag, however with the bag attached, they block the lights. Any recommendations for some kind of handlebar space saver / extension bar that I can use? To either drop the lights below the bag, or raise them high enough past the bag?
I have a Dawes Ultra Galaxy 2007.

I have seen this:
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/topeak-bar-...m_medium=base&utm_campaign=uk&kpid=5360184900
However I'm not sure it is long enough to provide the clearance I need.

Ta

numbnuts

Legendary Member

Bodhbh

Guru
The great thing about the Ayups is you can just about bodge the mount to fit anywhere. I tie wrap mine to the top of the fork crown. I'll post a pic when I'm not at work. I don't like the bar extenders much as they can wobble and catch on stuff, but maybe that's just me.

If you've got or getting Ayups it's worth putting a bunch of extra mounts in your order as they're pretty handy (I bodge one to a reflector mount and use Ayups + a red saxon cap on the seat post as a rear light).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The SJS (thanks for the link @numbnuts ) Thorn T shaped accessory bar that I use on the commuter is utterly bombproof and I'll wager it is stronger than the frame of the bike!

I've used the Rixen and Kaul Multi Clip gubbins with some success with AyUps and an R&K mounted bar bag on my tourer.

I'd not touch any of the Minoura or Topeak things with a pole off a barge. Their stuff, especially the minoura stuff, just seems to shake itself apart or find another way of self destructing on a dark night in mid winter.
If you've got or getting Ayups it's worth putting a bunch of extra mounts in your order as they're pretty handy (I bodge one to a reflector mount and use Ayups + a red saxon cap on the seat post as a rear light).
How much do you hate other road users? ;)

Last edited:

Bodhbh

Guru
The SJS (thanks for the link @numbnuts ) Thorn T shaped accessory bar that I use on the commuter is utterly bombproof and I'll wager it is stronger than the frame of the bike!

I've used the Rixen and Kaul Multi Clip gubbins with some success with AyUps and an R&K mounted bar bag on my tourer.

I'd not touch any of the Minoura or Topeak things with a pole off a barge. Their stuff, especially the minoura stuff, just seams to shake itself apart or find another way of self destructing on a dark night in mid winter.

How much do you hate other road users? ;)

Ha, I point them down a bit ! But tbh the saxon caps do a pretty good job of scattering the beam. I'd get some white ones to try as ambient camp lights, but maybe when do another order. Those Thorn bars are solid, but you need an inch of so spare steerer space (no problem on a Thorn).

IMG-20131008-00558_zps43102f39.jpg

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Unfortunately I don't seem to have a great deal of space for anything with this handlebar bag! I'm wondering if even the thorn bar extenders will raise the lights high enough.
image.jpg

Any ideas? Doesn't look like I can budge anything near the forks either.
image.jpg

Bodhbh

Guru
Thorn/SJS also do a fork crown mount for lights that screws into the brake mount. It sits bar a couple of inches above the crown - so a bit higher than if you just bodged the Ayup mount there - high enough to clear the wheel. I'd give the link but having a hard time finding it on their website. I know it exists as my mate has one on his tourer. Might be worth calling them.

Bodhbh

Guru
Here's one I can find, which is doable if you cut down the Ayup Mount to fit and zip tie it on:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-light-bracket-for-fork-crown-254mm-mount-prod22455/

It's not the one I'm thinking of however, which has a more generous length of bar to fit stuff on.

OP
OP
Plax

Plax

Guru
Thanks for all the replies. Having done much prodding, poking and measuring I've decided to just try the Topeak one. The Thorn ones look good but the way my bike is, I don't think any would meet my requirements. The Thorn one I liked there was a review that said their Ortlieb handlebar bag still blocked their lights with it. We'll see how the Topeak one fares, I'll keep the bag on the front bars and put the lights on the Topeak bar, they are only lightweight lights so hopefully won't put too much strain on it.

Top Bottom