Hands free distraction

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EnPassant

Remember Remember some date in November Member
There is a bbc news item that discusses recent research by the University of Sussex into hands free phone use here.
No surprise to me, I have long suspected this to be the case, mine goes in the boot or is simply off. I found it distracting, considered it, and stopped doing it*. For me the fact that the person on the other end cannot see the road is critical.
The problem with banning it is a common one, enforcement.

*in the car that is, on the bike I just leave it on the bar mount, sip my smirnoff bidon, roll a fat one and chat away....

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Mine doesn't get switched off and it speaks text messages (which I ignore if busy with the road), but I'm not answering a call before I stop, in car or on bike. Of course, safe places to stop a car are rarer than for a bike, so I'm less likely to answer calls when driving. Leave a message and I'll call you back when I stop.

oldstrath

Über Member
The original research showing an association between phone use and accidents didn't, I think, distinguish. Certainly to me the only safe place I can imagine for the phone is in the boot, turned off.

I know others disagree, but the best solution still seems to me to be a phone jammer interlocked with the ignition, to ensure non usage. Some summer days when the tourists are in full bloom I'd like to ride round with a jammer, or better yet, a device to make the damn things explode.

Crandoggler

I use mine occasionally. I don't feel it distracts me any more than a passenger talking to me. I've had ocasions of hazards when talking to a passenger and talking hands free. Both times I've stopped talking and dealt with the situation before resuming. Quite easy really.

oldstrath

Über Member
Given that we allow rather poorly-trained, and never retested, users to chuck a tonne or so of metal about the streets at high speed, is it really too much to expect them to avoid any distractions which are avoidable?

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
So what happens to the ton of metal moving at high speed when you've turned the driver into mincemeat?

hatler

Guru
I rather thought this was old news. I swear that there are already studies from a number of years ago which show that hands free mobile use is as distracting as hand held.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Yeah it's been known for a while more studies are good though, apparently it's moderately worse than being over the legal drink drive limit

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4315753, member: 9609"]however it is possible to prove after serious accidents, and if it is illeagal and the courts start sending people to prison then other drivers will sit up and take note.[/QUOTE]
Hmm - not much chance of that happening soon. She killed a child, and the coroner said “I believe her using the phone while driving contributed to the child’s death.” A fine of £90. For killing a child while talking on the phone.

Top Bottom