Has anyone ever used or been to a life coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Greedo

I've got a mate going through turmoil at the moment job wise. He also has just had his 2nd kid, turned 42 and just feels there must be more and is floating from one job in the telecoms sector to the next. He hates it no matter the company, salary, benefits etc....

I've suggested a life coach as he has loads of other skills but he just doesn't know what to do with himself.

Do they work or is it a waste of money. He would travel to see a good one if someone could recommend one. So it doesn't matter where you are based, he'll go.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Is 'your friend' actually you Greedo?

OP
OP
G

Greedo

Na. I'm 37, no kids and own my own business, and very happy.

Just met him at lunchtime and mentioned he looked fed up and when he told me what was up I said I'd ask on here as many people on here have been through a lot.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Is this the same as an emloyment consultant? I went to see one once who told me I was underpaid (as he would) then invited me to pay £1000 for the use of his library.

Parasites, all of 'em.

ChrisKH

Guru
He is going through a mid-life crisis. He has realised there is nothing else. What's a life coach going to do? Tell him to take up yoga and get in touch with his feminine side? :biggrin:

OP
OP
G

Greedo

ChrisKH said:
He is going through a mid-life crisis. He has realised there is nothing else. What's a life coach going to do? Tell him to take up yoga and get in touch with his feminine side? :biggrin:

It's more serious than that to be fair. It's been going on for years. He is stuck in a rut and doesn't know what to do next. He is in the wrong job and has been for 10 years

ChrisKH

Guru
Greedo said:
It's more serious than that to be fair. It's been going on for years. He is stuck in a rut and doesn't know what to do next. He is in the wrong job and has been for 10 years

Well if he finds an answer can you let me know please? I am an unwilling wage slave much the same as he is. I'm just realistic about my chance of change. I have a very interesting hobby though. :biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm a life coach and charge £1000 a week.
Please pass on my number to your friend.
He needs help, at least 3 months worth.
I can help him...
Honest.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I have a mate at my running club who was studying to be a life coach. I'll ask him how much he charges. Here's hoping whatever he decides to do doesn't involve chucking the wife and kids.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Just start putting something back into society. Volunteer, give up weekends to help those less fortunate, give away much larger sums to charity, and then get involved in helping them run better. Don't expect anything back. Not even thanks. Just do it for the education and fun.

Or pay someone to tell you how good you are, and how you can be better.

I always find the sort of person who thinks about employing a life coach are obnoxious, self-centred people who are best avoided.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
BrumJim said:
Just start putting something back into society. Volunteer, give up weekends to help those less fortunate, give away much larger sums to charity, and then get involved in helping them run better. Don't expect anything back. Not even thanks. Just do it for the education and fun.

Or pay someone to tell you how good you are, and how you can be better.

I always find the sort of person who thinks about employing a life coach are obnoxious, self-centred people who are best avoided.
'Always'? You've come across a lot?

I think it's all too easy to be sniffy about this, and I've no doubt that a) quite a lot of people who turn to 'life coaches' are self-indulgent snivellers who have more money than moral fibre, and could do with a hearty breakfast, a 30 mile ride and a bit less self-absorbtion, and :biggrin: quite a lot of 'life coaches' are charlatan snake oil salesmen, with nothing much to offer beyond a talent for exploiting a). But. Is it not just conceivable that some genuinely are good at sussing out what people might be good at and happy in (tho' they may never have given it a thought) and can point them in the right direction?

I've never come across anyone who's used one, to good or bad effect, but I woudn't be surprised if some people who have have been very pleased with the results, and wish they'd done it earlier. Personally I wouldn't rush to do it...but nor would I write it off out of hand.

Top Bottom