Has anyone ever used or been to a life coach

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wigsie

Nincompoop
In all seriousness, surely if he is that unhappy a councillor/therapist would help just as much as a life coach. He needs to identify the root of the issues and then work through it with his family.

Will cost him a hell of a lot less that a life coach I would imagine.

I have always been an advocate of pulling your finger out and sorting yourself out.

He should sit down write a list of the good and bad things in his life. Identify what he whats from life and where he would like to be in 10 years. Sent himself some long and short term goals and go for it.
Of course its important to include his wife/partner in the plan.

scots_lass

I did use one about 10 years ago although they didn't have the title of life coach, more like career advisor. I was at a crossroads in my career(had just been made redundant) and wanted to explore what else I could do - whether to stay in the same field or have a complete career change. As it turned out I was a round peg in a round hole so I looked for another job in the same field but it was very useful to discover and discuss my core skills and abilitites with someone independent. Proved very useful when I got round to applying for other jobs.
I think it would be very useful to have an appointment/s with a life coach who will look at the whole person - attitudes, career, qualifications, family life, personality, aspirations etc etc. It is always beneficial to get a take on your life from someone who is impartial.
There are lots of books available for someone who is thinking of changing their career - the one that springs to mind is Feel The Fear And Do It Anyway. Full of sensible stuff.
Best of luck.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Is it just him or is he still with his wife/ partner and his 2 [newish] children. If so is she as unhappy with him as he is? If he's is so bored that he is in a rut he needs to ask himself who or what is to blame... might realise it's him and do something about it. Might realise it's others, and do something about it.

If he's that unhappy perhaps it's time for a complete change, get away from it all and move to rural France.... 6 months there will either make or break them so he'll either stay and love it, or sort himself out and get back here sharpish- fully focussed on a new start.

Life coach? "Breathe in, breathe out, breathe in , breathe out... now, continue for the next 38 years...." Pay me lots of money to tell you what you already know but were too scared to admit?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I know someone who does it... she makes silly money, largely paid for by companies shelling out to 'develop' their executives...
I'm sure she's good at it, and gives sound advice etc, but it does seem like money for old rope to me...

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
...had to go to a group hug event organised by a team building guru -the person giving the advice was about the same age as my son. He proceeded to tell the group things that were so blindingly obvious we couldn't quite take him seriously... poor lad.

His final comment on the day was, take a deep breath, now if that was your last how would you feel.... it made us think a lot, but we couldn't tell him, he might have got upset.

Top Bottom