Has anyone tried curing their own bacon?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mine is beyond help

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I tried smoking some bacon, but the rizlas kept getting wet :smile:

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
OK, now I'm on something other than a phone...
I used a half kilo slab of belly pork, skinned. 20 g of salt, 5g of sugar, a few dried herbs and a bit of black pepper. Rub it into the piggywig, and put in the fridge in a largeish container - I used a Tupperware type thing with a lid. Turned it over whenever I remembered, and gave it three days in all. Rinse well, hang up overnight to dry a bit, then I lit three briquettes in the barbie, added some damp applewood prunings, and smoked the bacon for about 30 minutes with the lid on and all the vents shut. Let it cool, then slice into rashers. Fantastic!
It doesn't save any money, but it's not more expensive either, and it's no great effort. Well worth a go.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
OK, now I'm on something other than a phone...
I used a half kilo slab of belly pork, skinned. 20 g of salt, 5g of sugar, a few dried herbs and a bit of black pepper. Rub it into the piggywig, and put in the fridge in a largeish container - I used a Tupperware type thing with a lid. Turned it over whenever I remembered, and gave it three days in all. Rinse well, hang up overnight to dry a bit, then I lit three briquettes in the barbie, added some damp applewood prunings, and smoked the bacon for about 30 minutes with the lid on and all the vents shut. Let it cool, then slice into rashers. Fantastic!
It doesn't save any money, but it's not more expensive either, and it's no great effort. Well worth a go.
I can't remember whether there's any belly pork left from the half-pig we got a couple of year's back, but I'd vaguely intended to try this with a bit.

@rvw - you're going up to the apple farm again soon.....

"Does Anyone Like Making Bacon?" would have been a rasher title for the post. Shrink wrapping the finished product must be a pig of a job...a right arse or worse.
I thought 'bacon' was the 'cured' product of pork.
With the recent health scare over processed meat, some wag remarked that smoking causes cancer, bacon causes cancer, but smoking bacon cures it.
That'll be 'The Marie Cure'.

Top Bottom