England : Derbyshire Hayfield to Edale and back. Sunday 14th Sept.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have been promising myself I would turn this into a forum ride for some time now and as summer turns to autumn I guess it's now or never if it is to be done this year. The autumn countryside should be at its best and if the weather is good conditions will be perfect.

Beginning in Hayfield at the start of the Sett Valley Trail we will soon turn left onto the hills for a huge climb starting before we really get a chance to warm up. This really kind of sums up the ride, it is very up’n’down with quite a lot of technically challenging bits thrown in. Distance isn’t huge but you will know about it by the time(if!) you reach the end.

Come prepared, you need to be reasonably self-sufficient tool and puncture wise (although I am sure we will all try to help each other out if needed). carrying drink and snacks is a good idea and maybe a rain jacket should the weather turn. I am planning to stop in Edale for a spot of grub before the return leg back over Jacobs Ladder so bring a bit of cash. Jacobs Ladder is a monstrous rocky climb and if anyone can cycle up it I will gladly buy lunch for that person. I rode this route earlier in the year for the first time in many years and the Ladder was worse than I remembered it to be and I ended up pushing and carrying my bike up almost all the climb so be warned. The final descent back to Hayfield is a blast so the small inconvenience of having to shoulder the bike for a while is more than made up for on the other side.

Route is here - HAYFIELD-EDALE LOOP

Distance should be 18 miles

Starting point is the carpark (pay & display?) at the start of the Sett Valley Trail, Hayfield, SK22 2ES

10am Sunday 14th September

Who's interested?

Also see the Warm-up ride at Clayton Vale this weekend, Sat 6th Sept.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Oops, just realised, Maybe I should have made it clearer that this is DEFINITELY an MTB ride, CX and Hybrids need not apply!

Mods' please can you edit the title to slip in an odd MTB reference or two? :blush:

Cubist

Still wavin'
Ooh, looks fun. Yes, I'll come along if I'm not needed anywhere else.

Mods, can you make reference to the insane iconic climb in the title please?

Last edited:
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Starting to get excited now :hyper: Even the weather is promising to be good and just spoke to a mate that cycles to Edale regularly and he said there are two cafes to choose from :hungry:

upload_2014-9-10_21-30-11.png

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Weather forecast is still looking good so who is up for it?

I don't know if I am perceived as some kind of merciless speed freak here on the forum but please don't be afraid of joining me for this ride. Nobody will be left behind and we will be stopping at regular intervals to regroup and have a chin wag. The emphasis will definitely be on enjoying the trail features, the weather and the area. This is not going to be some balls-out Strava bashing exercise and while it is an epic ride, it will be done at a pace to suit all riders present.

Still planning a 10am start in Hayfield :thumbsup:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Weather forecast is still looking good so who is up for it?

I don't know if I am perceived as some kind of merciless speed freak here on the forum but please don't be afraid of joining me for this ride. Nobody will be left behind and we will be stopping at regular intervals to regroup and have a chin wag. The emphasis will definitely be on enjoying the trail features, the weather and the area. This is not going to be some balls-out Strava bashing exercise and while it is an epic ride, it will be done at a pace to suit all riders present.

Still planning a 10am start in Hayfield :thumbsup:

You're a merciless speed freak, deal with it :tongue:

and you haven't offered any of your homemade cherry flapjack

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
You're a merciless speed freak, deal with it :tongue:

and you haven't offered any of your homemade cherry flapjack
No room for carrying flapjack on an MTB ride. Travel light, travel fast...... oops! No, I don't mean that, lots of time for admiring the view and having a chat :whistle:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thanks for coming along @Steve_PD I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did, it was good to have some one to ride with and I find it much easier when pacing myself against someone else. If I ride alone I always push too hard and wear myself out before I get to the really tricky bits just where I need the extra energy.

Hi lights of the ride have got to be the drop off Rushup Edge into Edale and the run from the top of Jacobs Ladder halfway down to Hayfield to the point where that awful broken stone surface begins! God only knows what they were thinking when they put that surface down with no finings to bind it together, I can't think of anything worse for cyclists, walkers or horses (or vehicles for that matter).

The hungry Hikers breakfast in Edale was ok but I realised what was missing when riding towards Jacobs Ladder. There was no black pudding and I didn't spot it on the menu either. That's a pretty serious omission in my book especially when they charge so much and don't even include a pot of tea or coffee in the price :eek:

Quite funny how we both punctured our rear tyres within 50yds of each other just a short distance from the end. That bl**dy awful stone must be generating a fortune for the inner tube industry!

Anyway, Welcome to the forum mate and I hope we can get out and ride again soon, this forum needs more people that actually get out and ride instead of just talking about it @dan_bo @Cubist :tongue:

Steve_PD

Thanks for being so polite . Nothing worse to crack a mans confidence than being humiliated by a guy on a 90s hardtail. Still fantastic fun and will look forward to next meet.

With some luck I can find people with normal fitness on here .

Last edited:
Top Bottom