HDTV selection

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr Mag00

rising member
I have a voucher, for the DSG group currys and pc world, arriving after an insurance claim. i expect it to be about £500.

does anyone know anything about HDTV and those available from the above retailers. looking for some recommendations

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Are you willing to go over that and do you have a partner that'd object to 42" as too large what size do you want ?

OP
OP
mr Mag00

mr Mag00

rising member
hehehe, i dont want to go mad, over that financially not really, i have seen on their sites up to 37 inch which i think is fine i dont want it to dominate the room we currently have a 28" sony flat screen

whats difference between 720 and 1080p is it number of lines?

marinyork

Right, well at below that mark the Sony KDL32S3000 stands out at PC World. It's less than some other popular places. I don't like the lower sony ranges but that's cheaper than some other places.

Again below that price the New samsung 456 32" at PC World £419. Again I don't personally prefer the new samsungs. The 40" version is £589. The Pansonics and mid LGs are the best value at PC World. It's a slightly different story at currys.

marinyork

Just get them to actually bother to plug a blu-ray player in. Some of the split feeds are beyond a joke, you wonder how they sell any tvs. Comet or Currys I forget which has a special set up with LG that they aren't allowed to tinker with. If CityLink deliver, watch them like hawks.

My personal prefs are the lcd version of the 85 Panasonic and the lcd version of the 6000. There have already been a couple of price corrections and quite a few sets are coming out in October.

marinyork

Yeah a lot of shops will have a tv feed and split between many tvs, perhaps all of the tvs in a shop or rows of tens or whatever. Others have non-tv feeds, perhaps a promotional loop that gets split. You might get a few satellite feeds in some places. The nearest currys to me didn't seem too bad though it didn't have many blu-ray players to plug in. It just makes a lot of them look a awful really.

If you get a piece of paper and jot down the exact prices and codes of what you're interested in and have a look, the layout can be a bit haphazard in the larger stores so it'll make it easier to find. There are also dedicated Panasonic and Sony shops and there may be one near you. They tend to set up their displays very well.

Downward

Guru
Samsung 40" will suit.

marinyork

Ah missed that earlier question mr mag00.

Yes the difference is the resolution and the number of lines.

1080p is used for high definition content such as blu-ray, hd-dvd, Playstation 3 games, some XBox 360 games.

1080i is used in Europe to broadcast high definition tv (at sometimes substantially lower bitrates than blu-ray and with worse codecs).

720p tvs work fine with things. 720p tends to be more popular in the states for tv although there's a lot of 1080.

Mr M I presume you know you'll need a Sky hd box or Vrigin + box to receive HD broacasts? Or Freesat when it arrives?

HDTV are broadcast in 720, Bluray and the games boxes are 1080, so be aware that LCD will give you motion blur to a greater or lesser extent depending on the screen and "programme". The bigger the screen the bigger the blur problem will be.

marinyork

Freesat is here but the joke that is ITV HD hardly makes it worthwhile as well as BBC HD won't be 9hrs a day till next April.

TV is not broadcast in 720p, where do these rumours come from? Not that it matters are 720 is fine.

Top Bottom