Headset cartridge bearing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kiwifruit

Über Member
Hi can anyone give me some advice?. I brought myself a bike work stand and I service my Canyon Endurace 6.0 AL 2015
headset for the first time. The bearing were knackered, as I didn't know what headset or size bearing it is I email Canyon. Canyon email back saying is an Tange IS22ae-sct headset and the bearing size IS41/IS41. Upon this information I took this to my local LBS with the cartridge bearings, they sold me an Cane Creek 10-zs44 headset they said just use the bearings. Got home put the new bearings on but there's a small gap between the fork and head tube. Not convince, I put the original bearings back on (no gap). Went back to the LBS with bike, they said that's what Cane Creek suggested and it should fit. The LBS mechanic came over and said its fine is only a small gap. As a novice I took there advice. But I still not convince I order some bearings from Chain Reaction Cane Creek cartridge bearing S2/S3/ZS2/IS2 1.1/8 bearings IS41,put these on still the same small gap between fork and head tube (roughly 2mm). I now ordered an Cane Creek 40 series IS41 headset as Cane Creek website suggested. Do I just used the bearings or change the whole headset? If i change the whole headset will I need to put a new crown race on, as my fork is built in I think or will I have the some problems.

The first image is the original bearings and the second is from the bearing from the Cane Creek 10-zs44 headset.

IMG_20151207_143128807_HDR.jpg IMG_20151207_143003266_HDR.jpg
Advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
There is a crown race at the top of the forks where your gap is, check this and replace if damaged or in any way different from your collection of new stuff

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
I have check the crown race I can't see any damage, so do this mean when I put the new Cane creek 40 series IS41 I need to put a new crown race on. Will this fit over the existing crown as I can't see in anyway to take the original off, I think is integrated.

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Hi Fossyant, I have been out for a couple of rides and the gap is still the same. As for the bearings the original has no markings, the 10-ZS44 has HSS20133K which I am using now with the gap, and the other bearings which I brought from chain reaction has 41mm HSS30130K printed on.

U

User6179

There should be codes written on the original bearings !?

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Nope, no codes at all Eddy. I have checked and LBS checked as well. All I got from Canyon were Tange IS22AE-SCT headset and IS41/IS41 bearings

You need to replace the original bearings with precisely the same bearings as regards dimensions.

Ideally get a precise measurement tool and establish the OD (outer dimension) ID (Inner Dimension) and Depth. From a quick look it seems that the Depth of the new bearing is bigger than the original.

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Might be these ones, measure your original ones and the ones that are too big , these are 6.5mm high , I got 2 for a tenner online but cant remember where.

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/produc...r122-1-18-acb-36-x-45-cc-headset-bearing.html
Ok, if these doesn't fit would it be easier just to change the whole headset, as I have already ordered an Cane Creek 40/IS41 short cover, the website saying is an upper headset IS41/28.6 & lower headset IS41/30. If I do will I need to put a new crown race on? Or will I just have the same issue with the gap.

U

User6179

Ok, if these doesn't fit would it be easier just to change the whole headset, as I have already ordered an Cane Creek 40/IS41 short cover, the website saying is an upper headset IS41/28.6 & lower headset IS41/30. If I do will I need to put a new crown race on? Or will I just have the same issue with the gap.

You just need to change the bearings for exact same size and use the original crown race , read Accountantpete above , some bikes don't have an off the shelf headset , mines included .

Just to expand.

You have an integrated headset - so there is a fixed ledge inside the headtube that the bearing rests on.

If you get too thick a bearing there is a gap between the bottom of the headtube and the forks - as in your pic.

If you a bearing that is too narrow then the headtube hits the forks - so you have to get the precise depth.

You just need bearings - not a complete headset - so get the measurements and then see if these guys can help

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p1...Headset-Bearing-40x51.8x8mm/product_info.html

OP
OP
kiwifruit

kiwifruit

Über Member
Just to expand.

You have an integrated headset - so there is a fixed ledge inside the headtube that the bearing rests on.

If you get too thick a bearing there is a gap between the bottom of the headtube and the forks - as in your pic.

If you a bearing that is too narrow then the headtube hits the forks - so you have to get the precise depth.

You just need bearings - not a complete headset - so get the measurements and then see if these guys can help

http://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p1...Headset-Bearing-40x51.8x8mm/product_info.html
Thanks

Top Bottom