Heart rate monitor advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mattk50

MattK50
My wahoo heart rate monitor has broken. The popper catch seems to have corroded I reckon. I bought it 2.5 years ago so shouldn't grumble. The first link is the one I bought but I when I looked up on amazon for another, it looks like a new type (see second link?) . Any major difference I should know about if anyone knows? They are expensive for what they are. Not quite sure why my post has lots of empty rows....

Matt

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahoo-TICKR-Heart-Monitor-Bluetooth/dp/B00INQVYZ8?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A30DC7701CXIBH&th=1

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Wahoo-Fitness-Unisexs-Monitor-Bluetooth/dp/B0881B1H5S/ref=sr_1_3?crid=33MO3G7ZGA8PF&keywords=wahoo%2Btickr&qid=1691314720&s=sports&sprefix=wahoo%2Btickr%2B%2Csports%2C123&sr=1-3&th=1

Last edited:

13 rider

Guru
Yes the tickr was updated fairly recently the white one I believe is the newer version . Don't think there are massive differences between the 2 . Tip when not in use completely unclip the monitor from the strap . I had exactly the same issue with the clip corroding so I now do this and it keep everything cleaner .

I hope its still working for you. I have/had the newer black TickR. The first one corroded at the clips within a couple of months, I wouldn't say I was a heavy sweater either, and I needed to wipe it down often. After about 8months it failed completely. Wahoo did send me a replacement but I bought a Polar H10 which seems to have been much more reliable for the last 3 years. The replacement TickR has only been used when I've not had a fresh battery for the Polar H10.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I hope its still working for you. I have/had the newer black TickR. The first one corroded at the clips within a couple of months, I wouldn't say I was a heavy sweater either, and I needed to wipe it down often. After about 8months it failed completely. Wahoo did send me a replacement but I bought a Polar H10 which seems to have been much more reliable for the last 3 years. The replacement TickR has only been used when I've not had a fresh battery for the Polar H10.

Interesting comparison with the H10. I've had one of these since 2018 and must have run it for knocking on the door of 10k miles (so maybe 1000 hours wear / use) with no corrosion issues. Only reliability issue has been the head unit's failure to detect it sometimes, but I suspect this is less likely ot be the fault of the HRM.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
My Garmin HRM became unreliable after about 3 years and failed a year later. No visible corrosion/wear/damage, just one of those things.
Replacement items through Garmin and usual retailers seemed v expensive, but a newer model was dirt cheap on eBay.

That was 3 or 4 years ago, and I've hardly used it since.

Last edited:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I love my Polar Verity Sense. It's an arm one which I find more comfortable and seems just as reliable as a chest strap.

Top Bottom