Hello from California!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HovR

Über Member
HovR: That sounds great. If there are any stretches in particular you liked in California, please let me know! I'm open to anything at the moment. I'm assuming downtown LA isn't on the list :laugh:. Although Venice Beach - Santa Monica is a fun little ride. I'm assuming you were on the PCH, were the drivers more or less decent with cyclists? I'm a bit nervous about taking on a road like that.

For the most part the drivers on the PCH were ok, although there are some stretches where the drivers really zip through at speeds. I also know some people who consider the 101 to be way too dangerous for cycling on. Guess it's very dependent on the stretch of road - Personally I'd rather find myself some nice quiet trails or side roads.

I know it's a good few hundred miles from you, but the Redwoods has some lovely cycling area - Bit hilly though! :sweat:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It's refreshing to see a forum where flame wars aren't the norm! An occasional difference of opinion is fine, of course.

LOL just stay out of any threads that contain the words "helmet", "headphones" and "red light jumping" then and you will be fine :thumbsup:

Welcome

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

For the most part the drivers on the PCH were ok, although there are some stretches where the drivers really zip through at speeds. I also know some people who consider the 101 to be way too dangerous for cycling on. Guess it's very dependent on the stretch of road - Personally I'd rather find myself some nice quiet trails or side roads.

I know it's a good few hundred miles from you, but the Redwoods has some lovely cycling area - Bit hilly though! :sweat:

Ah ok, thanks for the info! Santa Barbara is good, but if you really want a long ride that's relatively flat, the only option seems to be the 101, at least for a stretch, and I have to admit I'm not so keen on riding on a busy and fast motorway like that. I'll ask around and see what some of the locals say, I'm sure there's things I don't know about yet! ^_^

I'll take on the redwoods when I'm a bit more in shape! Which may be awhile...^_^

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

LOL just stay out of any threads that contain the words "helmet", "headphones" and "red light jumping" then and you will be fine :thumbsup:

Welcome

Thanks for the advice! I don't mean to start any inadvertent flame wars. I'm a helmet man myself, but that's largely because many Californians don't know how to deal with cyclists! :tongue:

I did spend 3 months in Beijing and biked to work every day and never wore a helmet. Probably not my smartest move. I even hit two pedestrians! Nobody was hurt and we had a good laugh but cycling in Beijing is a whole other game. ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The PCH.....
2007 Pacific Coast 1.JPG

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

Wow, what a great photo! I think I know the exact spot, too! Did you cycle around that area? I took a similar photo when I rented a Mustang convertible and drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco with the top down! I've done the PCH that way, now it's time for me to do it the proper way--by bike! :bicycle:

As long as the drivers aren't too crazy...:blush:

Time for a CC PCH group ride!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Wow, what a great photo! I think I know the exact spot, too! Did you cycle around that area? I took a similar photo when I rented a Mustang convertible and drove from Los Angeles to San Francisco with the top down! I've done the PCH that way, now it's time for me to do it the proper way--by bike! :bicycle:

As long as the drivers aren't too crazy...:blush:

Time for a CC PCH group ride!

By bike? I wish lol...
No by car... from San Fran to LA Stopping in Morro Bay and Santa Barbara on the way.

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

By bike? I wish lol...
No by car... from San Fran to LA Stopping in Morro Bay and Santa Barbara on the way.

Haha well, I just assume that everyone in this forum cycles everywhere they go...:tongue:

Come to think of it, I didn't see many cyclists on that stretch of the 1.

I hope I don't get too much flack for this, but the California coast is a great car trip, right? ^_^

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Haha well, I just assume that everyone in this forum cycles everywhere they go...:tongue:

Come to think of it, I didn't see many cyclists on that stretch of the 1.

I hope I don't get too much flack for this, but the California coast is a great car trip, right? ^_^

Probably one of the best in the world....

OP
OP
Pato Donald

Pato Donald

id like to ride the pacific coast...i saw some of it already on my bike but i want to see it all...but i want to ride back up through yosemite mt. shasta etc

Oh man, I've been reading your blog about your trip again and it's great stuff. It's a trip I've always wanted to take and although I'm still in June, it seems like you had a great positive attitude about it! ^_^

You probably get this question all the time, but what about the trip surprised you most? How easy/hard it was? The terrain or weather? The terrible Yank drivers? Your ability to pick a goal and stick with it? I'm impressed!

Top Bottom