Hello from Kettering.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just wanted to say Hi from Kettering and tell a bit of my story! I'm newish to Road cycling since starting again in July after what must be a 20 year lay off. The first stint was ended by University, beer and women - but not necessarily in that order. One day, I decided to get the old MTB out of the shed, dust it down, pump up the tyres, give the gears a tweak and take it for a ride. 4 miles later and being a sweaty out of breath mess I found that I had thoroughly enjoyed myself and wanted to continue. Still not sure why I started again but I'm glad I did. Just had a calling.

I vowed that by the end of August I would commute to my office and back - a 26 mile round trip over country roads with some awkward hills. So I serviced the bike, bought some light weight slick tyres - a revelation, and started looking at lightening the beast. New seat post and saddle were ordered cutting over a kg of weight. My distances rose to doing 10 -12 miles comfortably, my fitness has improved and weight has been shed and I achieved my goal 4 weeks after starting.

The next few months have passed in a bit of a cycling blur really. I've now purchased a road bike - Forme Longcliffe 3.0 from my LBS, now wearing lycra and getting out riding when work, family and the weather allow. The mtb is now used for family rides only and been relegated back to the shed.

Biggest ride so far is 40 miles into leicestershire of the weekend of the big storm so a head wind all the way. I'm currently managing to average around 50 miles per week. So going well and enjoying it. Now looking at cycling shoes and clipless pedals to replace the toe clips. Does this ever end? LOL! Also deciding on some cycling challenges for next year to continue with the progress.

Biker Joe

Über Member
Hi and a warm :welcome: to you.
You've certainly been bitten by the cycling bug.
I'm glad to hear you are enjoying the experience.
No. Getting cycling related stuff never ends:biggrin:. There always seems to be something you want or need.
You have progressed very well so far. Good work.:thumbsup:
I hope your enjoyment continues.

OP
OP
W

Wordsworth30

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Had the Forme now for about 6 weeks and finding it a great bike to start out on and couldn't recommend it enough. My LBS price matched Rutland Cycles offer so got a healthy discount on the RRP without the aggro of buying off of the net or going 40 miles up the road.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
@Wordsworth30 hi from W/boro hope to see you out and about .

hi from down the road !get yourself down c&ds - really helpful lbs with a club as well

@berty bassett tell me more about c&d'd

berty bassett

Legendary Member
@Wordsworth30 hi from W/boro hope to see you out and about .

@berty bassett tell me more about c&d'd
Surely yourve been c&ds down montague street in ket'rin . i know shop keepers are suppose to be helpful but the shorter of the 2 owner types in the shop couldnt be in a better job - he looks like he really enjoys his job and is very very helpful . they have started a club up on strava and go for runs on wed eve , sat morning and sunday morning . i have been welcomed on the strava club but as yet i havent been on a run with them as they meet outside the shop and to be honest i just dont want to go through kettering when i can just as easy stick to the villages so i guess i will stick to being on my ownsome . they have plenty of stock and are willing to get in most things you want AND its a great place to hide when you have to take missus shoppiing - just be careful you dont walk too far and go to glovers just down the road - he will have everything for a older bike in a little nick nack drawer somewhere at a fraction of normal price - but on first impressions he comes over as a cross between a gay hannibal lector and lurch - no offence meant as if you are looking for a bit for a older bike - as i know you do up old bikes - he is worth seeing - just keep the door in sight

Top Bottom