Hello from King's Lynn (West Norfolk)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Speedball

Hi everyone

My name is Andrew from just outside a town called King's Lynn in West Norfolk.

Pretty blessed in the area I live as plenty of opportunities for cycling in quiet countryside and not that many hills, though don't believe everything about Norfolk being flat :heat:

I'm what I guess many of you would call a fair weather cyclist, normally only out during the summer weekends when the weather is good and the wind behind :laugh:

However, I was lucky enough to secure a place in the Ride London 100 ballot so looks like I need to step things up a gear. Since finding out I've had a place, I've been doing plenty of googling for training plans, different bikes and equipment and this forum always came out near the top. Been lurking most of the day but seen some great advice and some friendly folk so I really felt it was worth joining up.

Hopefully I'll be able to add something to the forum as time goes on, probably advice about how not to do it as I learn the hardway. As I said, I'm by no means an experienced cyclist. Longest ride to date is about 33 miles, averaging around 14mph. I currently do most of my rides on a Kona Fire Mountain MTB with road tyres but am now looking to get a road bike to complete my first few sportives.

Got my eye on the Norwich and Sandringham events in June this year as a build up to the big one in August. I need to find an extra 67 miles from somewhere :bicycle:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
what you going to get

OP
OP
S

Speedball

Thanks for the welcomes

what you going to get

Favourite at the moment is Decathlon Triban 3. It was researching that bike that lead to this forum.

With my limited knowledge, seems to be a lot of bike for the money and it suits my budget. Don't really want to spend more than £300 to start with. Obviously that may change later down the line and I'll look to upgrade but you can't spend what you haven't got!!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Hi Andrew from near King's Lynn.....from Andrew in King's Lynn. If you need any cycle help or wish to join me and my friends on a weekend spin drop me a line.

OP
OP
S

Speedball

Hi Andrew from near King's Lynn.....from Andrew in King's Lynn. If you need any cycle help or wish to join me and my friends on a weekend spin drop me a line.

Wow that's great and I may well take you up on your kind offer. Hoping to start to get a few miles in my legs in the forthcoming weeks.

How far do you normally go and what kind of speed? Would hate to slow you all up ;-)

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Most weekends we do between 30 and 50 miles. Usually on the Sunday morning. We go at the speed of the slowest rider.....which is me! We were averaging just under 15mph on a run - but I recently swapped to a recumbent due to shoulder problems - so currently only average about 13mph. We tend to head towards Places like Burnham Market. West Acre and Hunstanton. ....always stopping for coffee and cake en route!

OP
OP
S

Speedball

Most weekends we do between 30 and 50 miles. Usually on the Sunday morning. We go at the speed of the slowest rider.....which is me! We were averaging just under 15mph on a run - but I recently swapped to a recumbent due to shoulder problems - so currently only average about 13mph. We tend to head towards Places like Burnham Market. West Acre and Hunstanton. ....always stopping for coffee and cake en route!

Well the coffee and cake sounds right up my street :becool:

Sounds like we'd be heading in similar directions. Live in Gayton so tend to head out either towards West Acre or through Hillington and on through Bircham towards Burnham Market.

Let me get a couple of rides under my belt and I'll be in touch. Really appreciate the offer though. Could really help with my training.

what you going to get

Hopefully a Triban 3. Certainly suits my (small) budget and seems a good introduction to road bikes. I've not had a road bike since I was about 12. It's all been MTB's since then. Getting into the Ride London though means I need to take things a bit more seriously and feel confident in whatever I'm riding.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks for the welcomes

Favourite at the moment is Decathlon Triban 3. It was researching that bike that lead to this forum.

With my limited knowledge, seems to be a lot of bike for the money and it suits my budget. Don't really want to spend more than £300 to start with. Obviously that may change later down the line and I'll look to upgrade but you can't spend what you haven't got!!
Good choice but be sure to get one of the 2012 red versions if you can as the white 2013 Triban 3A is a lower spec bike and not as good value.

OP
OP
S

Speedball

Good choice but be sure to get one of the 2012 red versions if you can as the white 2013 Triban 3A is a lower spec bike and not as good value.

Thanks for the advice. I've seen somewhere that they are now using steel forks instead of carbon for the 2013 version. Are there any other major differences?

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Thanks for the advice. I've seen somewhere that they are now using steel forks instead of carbon for the 2013 version. Are there any other major differences?
They've fitted a lower spec drivetrain and shifters too, meaning the new version is now about the same as its similar priced competitors.

There is a discussion about it here, which includes links to the specs of the new ones.

To me it looks like the white Triban 3A is a new entry level model, the Triban 5A is the old 3 with a drivetrain upgrade and the new 7 is the old 5 upgraded.

OP
OP
S

Speedball

They've fitted a lower spec drivetrain and shifters too, meaning the new version is now about the same as its similar priced competitors.

There is a discussion about it here, which includes links to the specs of the new ones.

To me it looks like the white Triban 3A is a new entry level model, the Triban 5A is the old 3 with a drivetrain upgrade and the new 7 is the old 5 upgraded.

Thank you, that's a really useful thread. Loving this forum already :thumbsup:
Hi Andrew :welcome:...good luck with your training :thumbsup:

Thank you, think I might need it though nice to read that there are people in the same position as me. Some of the forums seem to be full of Supermen who do 200 miles as a warm up :wacko:

Hi Speedball from a Canary in Bristol !

Used to have family in Dersingham.
Spent many great holidays at Hunstanton.

Haha OTBC. I'm a big Norwich fan (season ticket holder) and several away games a year. Might start biking to them, then again may be not....:cheers:

Great part of the world for cycling and it looks like I'll be seeing a hell alot more of it over the upcoming months.

Top Bottom