Hello from King's Lynn (West Norfolk)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Welcome from a fellow Canary (Barclay Boy) ! :welcome:

You'll often find me struggling on a fully laden hybrid up the hill from West Newton past the old water tower on my way from Lynn station to North Creake. Fun on the way back down though!

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Well the coffee and cake sounds right up my street :becool:

Sounds like we'd be heading in similar directions. Live in Gayton so tend to head out either towards West Acre or through Hillington and on through Bircham towards Burnham Market.

Let me get a couple of rides under my belt and I'll be in touch. Really appreciate the offer though. Could really help with my training.

Hopefully a Triban 3. Certainly suits my (small) budget and seems a good introduction to road bikes. I've not had a road bike since I was about 12. It's all been MTB's since then. Getting into the Ride London though means I need to take things a bit more seriously and feel confident in whatever I'm riding.

OP
OP
S

Speedball

Welcome from a fellow Canary (Barclay Boy) ! :welcome:

You'll often find me struggling on a fully laden hybrid up the hill from West Newton past the old water tower on my way from Lynn station to North Creake. Fun on the way back down though!

Blimey, we're everywhere. I'm a former Barclay Boy but now a resident of the Snakepit.

If we're thinking of the same hill, I went down there last year then realised I'd made a wrong turning and had to head back up it again. Not the greatest few minutes I've ever had on a bike. Character building I think is the polite term!! :cry:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Well the coffee and cake sounds right up my street :becool:

Sounds like we'd be heading in similar directions. Live in Gayton so tend to head out either towards West Acre or through Hillington and on through Bircham towards Burnham Market.

Let me get a couple of rides under my belt and I'll be in touch. Really appreciate the offer though. Could really help with my training.

I doubt you really need to do any training to join us! .....and if the distance worries you , bear in mind that a 40 mile ride from Lynn is only a 25 mile ride from Gayton, if we loop in your direction.....

Feastie

Über Member
I live near Hunstanton (when not at Uni) and usually cycle round the coast from there in the Brancaster direction. I try to avoid the coastal road (because it's a narrow blind-cornered death trap of 4x4s and the Coasthopper - in my opinion!) but if you cycle parallel but slightly inland along the ridge it's really nice. Provided you don't mind hills! It goes up and down like crazy. I reckon you could easily track a long way along the coast like that if you fancied... and the splendid array of pubs en-route also counts for something ;)

Anyway, just wanted to say hello!

OP
OP
S

Speedball

Me too...! I'm in the River End.

I went down to the QPR game a couple of weeks ago

Wow, nice to see a nice yellow army following on here. Bad luck on the QPR, it was bad enough on TV. I've only done Spurs, Newcastle, West Brom & West Ham this so far season but hoping to do Arsenal as missed out last season.

Are you planning to do the Norwich 50 or 100 event?

I live near Hunstanton (when not at Uni) and usually cycle round the coast from there in the Brancaster direction. I try to avoid the coastal road (because it's a narrow blind-cornered death trap of 4x4s and the Coasthopper - in my opinion!) but if you cycle parallel but slightly inland along the ridge it's really nice. Provided you don't mind hills! It goes up and down like crazy. I reckon you could easily track a long way along the coast like that if you fancied... and the splendid array of pubs en-route also counts for something ;)

Anyway, just wanted to say hello!

Thank you for saying hello and the advice on the coast roads. Was thinking of heading out that way as the Sandringham event I'm planning on doing in June uses that route. Would defo agree about all the Chelsea Tractors lol

OP
OP
S

Speedball

Sorry Mrandmrspoves missed your reply in the quote.

Not been out for a ride at all since last August when I had a knee op so need just need to get some confidence on a bike again. Hoping to order my new bike on Sunday and have it here for Tuesday. Off work that day so hope to have a ride out then.

I was hoping to go out today (my birthday) but it appears as a present I've got a stinking cold, sore throat and conjunctivitis. Would probably normally brave it but going down to London tomorrow for the weekend so don't want to make myself worse and ruin that weekend (Mrs Speedball will kill me lol)

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.

Not been out for a ride at all since last August when I had a knee op so need just need to get some confidence on a bike again. Hoping to order my new bike on Sunday and have it here for Tuesday. Off work that day so hope to have a ride out then.

I was hoping to go out today (my birthday) but it appears as a present I've got a stinking cold, sore throat and conjunctivitis. Would probably normally brave it but going down to London tomorrow for the weekend so don't want to make myself worse and ruin that weekend (Mrs Speedball will kill me lol)

citybabe

Keep Calm and OMG.......CAKES!!
Wow, nice to see a nice yellow army following on here. Bad luck on the QPR, it was bad enough on TV. I've only done Spurs, Newcastle, West Brom & West Ham this so far season but hoping to do Arsenal as missed out last season.

Are you planning to do the Norwich 50 or 100 event?

I've only been to QPR this season - which is very poor :blush:

Next season I would like to get down to more of the London games and maybe 1 or 2 others. St James's Park is one ground I've always wanted to go to

I've not planned to do either the 50 or the 100 miles this year as yet

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.

No worries. Many happy returns BTW.
What bike did you decide on in the end?
I won't be free for next 2 weekends after this one - so hopefully see you sometime after that.

OP
OP
S

Speedball

No worries. Many happy returns BTW.
What bike did you decide on in the end?
I won't be free for next 2 weekends after this one - so hopefully see you sometime after that.

Gone for the Triban 3. Popped into Decathlon today and tried one out for size. Pretty much kitted myself out in the store as well so really the only thing to blame now is me. Just waiting for confirmation of the delivery date now. Can't wait for it to arrive :wub:

Will just do a few rides on my MTB while I'm waiting to get my legs moving again! A ride out in a couple of weeks sounds good :thumbsup:

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Gone for the Triban 3. Popped into Decathlon today and tried one out for size. Pretty much kitted myself out in the store as well so really the only thing to blame now is me. Just waiting for confirmation of the delivery date now. Can't wait for it to arrive :wub:

Will just do a few rides on my MTB while I'm waiting to get my legs moving again! A ride out in a couple of weeks sounds good :thumbsup:

A very nice bike - I had one for a few months (before my shoulders got too bad) and now my youngest son is enjoying it.
Hopefully you have managed to get one with the carbon forks (soon to be downgraded to steel)
When it arrives, I recommend taking the wheels off and ensuring the bearings are greased adequately as many reports of the bearings failing prematurely. I checked mine from new and they had been rather miserly with the grease. I'm not sure how proficient you are with a spanner - but happy to help if your'e not. Likewise if it needs setting up at all. (Mine was set up perfectly and I just had to put the pedals on, straighten the handlebars and adjust the saddle. If it arrives this week and you need a hand let me know (I often drive through Gayton on my way home from work as I work in Dereham)
I will next be free for cycling on March 10th..... so see how you're doing by then....

Poves

OP
OP
S

Speedball

A very nice bike - I had one for a few months (before my shoulders got too bad) and now my youngest son is enjoying it.
Hopefully you have managed to get one with the carbon forks (soon to be downgraded to steel)
When it arrives, I recommend taking the wheels off and ensuring the bearings are greased adequately as many reports of the bearings failing prematurely. I checked mine from new and they had been rather miserly with the grease. I'm not sure how proficient you are with a spanner - but happy to help if your'e not. Likewise if it needs setting up at all. (Mine was set up perfectly and I just had to put the pedals on, straighten the handlebars and adjust the saddle. If it arrives this week and you need a hand let me know (I often drive through Gayton on my way home from work as I work in Dereham)
I will next be free for cycling on March 10th..... so see how you're doing by then....

Poves

I did go for the 2012 carbon forked model. Lovely bike at what I reckon is an unbelievable price. Certainly better quality than my £500 MTB.

The offer of help is really appreciated as my with proficiency with a spanner goes about as far as I know what one is :blush: Will let you know when it arrives.

Top Bottom