Hello from merseyside

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lancj1

John, 51, re starter

Cycled as a kid - Moulton Mini then a Raliegh name unknown - green but not a racer

Purchased a racer in 1981 and had a nasty tumble due to a carrier bag in the front wheel accident - broken arms and bad facial injuries (glasses meet kerb)

Twenty years pass and in 1995 I got a Raleigh 15 speed Jackal "mountain bike" steel frame, made in Nottingham, and now has slik tyres and all the original parts which I am using three times a week and really enjoying it. It will stay with me forever and become my my knockabout.

Three years ago got a decent mountain bike on c2w which I use during the summer with my son (14) when we dash round local paths and parks

Just ordered a basic Claude Butler racer - based on the fun I am having on the Raleigh it should provide a big improvement.

Now doing 9 miles three times a week in the evening, and just done my first evern 20 plusser - 20.67 miles in 1 hr 52.

Aim is fun and fitness. I am carrying a bit but losing it at an acceptable pace.

Doubt I will commute but you never know

Hello ;)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hello John, :welcome: to Cchat!
Well done on the mileage, keep going!

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Welcome John :smile:

Im sorry to hear about your accident. Oddly, today I was flying down a hill at over 30mph and saw a carrier bag flying around, Ive heard about pieces of cloth jamming a wheel but i figured a carrier bag would just be shredded so whizzed past it. Your first post here has educated someone (me), good job! :biggrin:

OP
OP
Lancj1

Lancj1

I have innocently misled you. The carrier bag contained my works uniform and was hanging from my handlebars. A foolish thing to do and a lesson learned.

david k

Hi
John, 51, re starter

Cycled as a kid - Moulton Mini then a Raliegh name unknown - green but not a racer

Purchased a racer in 1981 and had a nasty tumble due to a carrier bag in the front wheel accident - broken arms and bad facial injuries (glasses meet kerb)

Twenty years pass and in 1995 I got a Raleigh 15 speed Jackal "mountain bike" steel frame, made in Nottingham, and now has slik tyres and all the original parts which I am using three times a week and really enjoying it. It will stay with me forever and become my my knockabout.

Three years ago got a decent mountain bike on c2w which I use during the summer with my son (14) when we dash round local paths and parks

Just ordered a basic Claude Butler racer - based on the fun I am having on the Raleigh it should provide a big improvement.

Now doing 9 miles three times a week in the evening, and just done my first evern 20 plusser - 20.67 miles in 1 hr 52.

Aim is fun and fitness. I am carrying a bit but losing it at an acceptable pace.

Doubt I will commute but you never know

Hello ;)

hello mate, welcome to cc
im from merseyside and ride often with a couple of people, pm me if you fancy a shared ride sometime

:welcome: John

After having a hybrid for a couple of years,bought a second hand trek road bike in april and the difference is amazing.

Enjoy your new bike john,your soon be doing double the miles you are doing now.

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Oh Gawd, that reminds of an over the handlebars incident I suffered when I was 14 ( a week or so ago now...). I'm going to a football match, boots in a plastic bag tied on the handlebars. The bag slips between the spokes and the forks and the front wheel stops dead; the first thing that hits the floor is my chin.
I've still got the scar.
I recently started biking again, doing very modest mileage, somewhat infrequently, and built it up slowly.
Since Christmas, when I found myself tipping the scales at a bit more than 14st I've been doing a regular 7 mile ride at least three times a week, and now weigh in at 11st 10lb. My average speed has gone from 12mph to a whisker over 15, on a sit up and beg Pashley Roadster Sovereign. I've found it a comfortable and enjoyable way of getting less porky and somewhat fitter.
I've been thinking about a lighter, more sporting bike, but that Pashley has just got so much style....

Top Bottom