Hello from the far east

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've just found street view links and some photos from the area. Accommodation info is nice too! This map is very useful. I want it Japanese version.
Yes, it's wonderful isn't it!

If you click on find photos, then on one of the photos (some spots don't have a photo), the photo will open in a larger view on Geograph Britain and Ireland. Now you have two options -
1 - if you then scroll down below the larger photo you will see the Ordnance Survey map of the km square in which the photo is located. If you then click on the Ordnance Survey map, it will open in a separate window and you can change the scale, move around the country etc.
2 - if you click on the two letters and four numbers which is a link immediately above and to the left of the larger photo, you are taken to a page which has thumbnails and links to all the photos taken in that km square.

Enjoy - this picture - not taken by me! - shows exactly where I was cycling yesterday!

OP
OP
hiyo

hiyo

@KnittyNorah I see, I perfectly understood what you meant! 👍👍👍
I have this map and these guide books but Cycle Travel covers all of them!

Your cycling along the the Lancaster Canal seems to nice and relaxing!

Attachments

• A6009BF2-780B-497B-9CED-B8686FAF76B5.jpeg
    A6009BF2-780B-497B-9CED-B8686FAF76B5.jpeg
    146.2 KB · Views: 2

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I love Cycle round Japan. I have seen them all. The bikes are not my thing as I love my touring bicycle.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
These are a great read you might enjoy if you can get them there. There used to be a great foreign bookshop in Roppongi but quite a few years ago now.

Attachments

• 20210816_164634.jpg
    20210816_164634.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
hiyo

hiyo

@Oldhippy
Thank you for the books. I will check them when I go to a big book shop.
Oh, you know about Saitama? Yes, there are nice views and traffic-free paved cycling roads.
The prefectural governor aims to make Saitama a bicycle kingdom.
I will post photos of "Saitama in Autumn" when the Covid-19 situation get settled.

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Visited many places when I lived there. I would like to return have a relaxed look around one day.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thanks for your comment. Oh, you have travelled here in Japan. I'm glad to hear that. We have nice traffic free cycling roads. Hope you enjoy it someday. Thank you for your recommendations. I will check them out.
Thank you for the additional info. I thought Kendal (or Windermere) is the train station for easy to access to the Lake districts :smile:

Penrith gives better access to the northern and eastern Lake District. Carlisle gives you access to the area of Cumbria north of the Lakes. It can give a nice alternate way in. A good way of tackling the Lakes is to ride from one station to another via a number of lakes and valleys. You don’t have to return to where you started. An option for instance might be Oxenholme or Windermere. Ride towards the north Lakes then exit towards Carlisle or Penrith. Then visit Hadrian’s Wall before entering Scotland and continuing north to Edinburgh and beyond. Depending on how much holiday you take.

Or you could for instance fly into Teeside airport. Cycle across the Yorkshire Dales towards Kendal. Cycle generally north through the Lakes. Exit towards Penrith or Carlisle. Visit Hadrian’s Wall and from there cycle north to Edinburgh. Then fly home from Edinburgh airport. Then next time fly into Edinburgh or Glasgow and explore further north into Scotland via combination of bike and train and ferry. A flight into Belfast is also worth considering. Antrim to the north has some beautiful countryside. Otherwise ferries from Belfast to Stranraer in Scotland work well.

Last edited:

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
As to where I travelled in Japan. It stretched from Nikko to Hiroshima. I walked up Fuji San during the trip. To watch the sunset before descending. In Nikko a visit to the Tōshō-gū shrine which of course has the three wise monkeys. The atomic bomb memorial and museum in Hiroshima. A visit to Kyoto and Osaka. Plus a few other places. Of course I also spent time in Tokyo flying in and out of there.

OP
OP
hiyo

hiyo

@Ming the Merciless Thank you for your suggestion!
I tried to follow the routes by using Cycle Travel map.
I haven't decided anything concrete yet, so I am enjoying imaginary trip in my head😆
You made a wonderful trip in Japan!
Please bring your bike with you next time. I recommend Hokkaido, which is said to be similar to Highland.
604688 604690

Last edited:
Top Bottom