Hello from Windy Cheshire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ZaksDad

Hi, Just joined, looking forward to getting involved.
I'm based in South Manchester and have been cycling for about a year. Well, I've been cycling since I was a kid (go on, ask me if I'm tired?), but invested in a road bike last year and progressed from there.
Cheers,
Mark.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi Mark

Welcome to the forum !

I worked at the Cresta Court Hotel - way, way back. There used to be a good bike shop in Alty called Doug Hartley's.

What's your local ? I've been in virtually all the pubs in Alty, Timperley, Brooklands & Sale. :smile:

OP
OP
ZaksDad

ZaksDad

Cresta Court is still there, but Hartley's closed a good few years ago!
Moss Trooper would be the closest pub to me, but I've got young kids, so I don't go out anymore! :smile:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Moss Trooper would be the closest pub to me, but I've got young kids, so I don't go out anymore! :smile:

I used to know that road (Moss Lane) well; a friend of mine had a greengrocers (?) called Hammersley's - which was in a row of shops just by the bridge going towards Timperley. I'm sure that it will be long gone, though.

OP
OP
ZaksDad

ZaksDad

Hi Chris, yes, looking forward to joining you one Saturday morning. I usually go out Sundays but will see if I can shift some of the family stuff around. :smile:

I've lived in Alty/Timperley all my life, don't remember a greengrocers there, but it's still a row of shops :smile:

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Back in the 70s, the pub to go to, was The Little 'B' on Marsland Road; I saw Alex Higgins give an exhibition match there - even p*ssed, he was awesome :smile: .

OP
OP
ZaksDad

ZaksDad

Funnily enough, Higgins used to live across the road from my grandparents, and they were always telling stories about some of the things he'd be doing.... Not many of them nice stories, though :sad:

Yep, i canned my planned ride this morning, looked a bit too dangerous in that wind, guess its gonna be a bit mixed between now and, ooh, April?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I used to know that road (Moss Lane) well; a friend of mine had a greengrocers (?) called Hammersley's - which was in a row of shops just by the bridge going towards Timperley. I'm sure that it will be long gone, though.

My folks live nearby - last time I looked, it was a tool hire shop. I remember the Greengrocers though.

OP
OP
ZaksDad

ZaksDad

Yes,thanks for the tip Moggy. Need to understand my cadence and how to improve it, that's my first mission here :smile:

Very true Mr Brewer, lovely place to cycle with miles and miles of scenice routes on our doorstep.

Top Bottom