Hello there, newbie from Stourbridge calling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinP

Regular
I found this forum by searching of tapatalk and thought I should join and say hello :smile:

I used to do a lot of cycling as a kid and lots of miles as a teenager on my mountain bike around South Wales where I'm originally from. It seemed nothing cycling up the Taff Trail most of the day, turning around and coming back for tea.

Passing my driving test in 1998 more or less stopped my cycling.

Anyway, roll on to 8th March 2013 and I purchased a 2012 Claud Butler Roubaix (I had planned to buy a 2013 Raleigh Revenio One but the waiting list is until June apparently). As I was buying my first ever road bike at the same time as my other half was picking up a CB for her and we bought our son a Dawes Blowfish for his 4th Birthday, I thought it was best to get my bike at the same time and make the most of the local cycle shop and the discount he applied after spending over £1300 on bikes and accessories for all....!!

So far I have managed to cycle to my local park which is literally 5 seconds away on the bike but it felt good, it felt comfy and I was worried that I wouldn't sit comfy on the bike. I'm 6ft, and just under 12 stone on a heavy day but Bache Bros in Lye (shop where I bought the bike) set it up perfectly for me.

I am planning on getting some decent bike time but juggling two children aged 4 and 1 is a handful at times.

I do have an old apollo MB covered up in the garden that I rebuilt a few years ago using only youtube as reference and I will be using this on family days.

If there is anybody around this neck of the woods who could help in providing a route to break me and the bike in then feel free to shout. My fitness isn't quite the best at the moment, I used to run a lot and play football but I took 2012 off to rest some injuries and spend time with the family. The bike will probably replace my running to be honest as I've already had a knee op on each knee and one of the biggest selling points to my other half to spend >£500 on a bike was to take pressure off the ol' bones :smile:

anyway, that's enough of an introduction for now

Martin

Hi Martin and welcome. The natives are pretty friendly. All the best Mike.

fullcycle

Hi and :welcome: from another midlander. Take a look at www.cyclestreets.net - its good used in conjunction with google maps and such when planning routes it gives you the option of quieter ways to go.

OP
OP
M

MartinP

Regular
I've had a quick look on here but I'm really tired and got a thick head and feel all grrr....

Insurance for bikes, is this something I should invest in or would it come under house contents insurance?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Martin:
Hi!
My philosophy is never to insure something that you can afford to pay for yourself. Otherwise you are just giving insurance companies money for nothing. Stuff happens, stuff breaks down, fails and gets stolen. Insurance companies don't give you money for free, and if you can aggregate these losses yourself (good days/bad days, good years / bad years) then its cheaper than paying someone else to do it.

Some of my favourite riding country is out your way - Halesowen, Clent hills, Romsley. Waiting for warmer weather and my 3-month-old to grow a bit before I get out again.

Top Bottom