Help me diagnose some bad 9 speed shifting (Sora 9 Speed Road Groupset)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

faster

Über Member
According to the image it seems to me that the cable isn't clamped correctly into the "knurled" groove:
View attachment 726552
In my opinion hat roughly one millimetre deviation changes the ratio of the derailleur enough to cause shifting problems.

Hth,

E.

Where it is clamped is the only logical explanation as far as I can see. I think the "knurled" bit is just damage though. The cable should be nearer/right up against the bolt and tab.

Derailleurs are very sensitive to clamping position.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The cable should be nearer/right up against the bolt and tab.
Don't agree (the "right up against the bolt" bit). The cable should be in the groove, covered by half-hexagon tap on the clamp and secured by the bolt (7 Nm). @EckyH shows the way.
But this isn't the base cause of the OP's travails.

Last edited:

faster

Über Member
Don't agree (the "right up against the bolt" bit. The cable should be in the groove, covered by half-hexagon tap on the clamp and secured by the bolt (7 Nm). @EckyH shows the way.
But this isn't the base cause of the OP's travails.

You're right, I've just been down to the garage to check on a slightly older Sora deraillure and it looks like the cable needs to be as far away from the bolt as possible.

On mine it's barely clinging on, but it is different to the Shimano diagram.

IMG_20240405_110308.jpg

I checked another bike and it was the same. Both of these bikes shift perfectly.

I'd ignore the Shimano diagram and try to recreate what you see in the photo. I'm fairly confident this will solve your problem.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Except if you look, that square tab which is 'bent over' is designed to sit on the square edge (just above the spring in your image) which then fixes the tab I described (but is hidden in your image (assumed)) on top of the cable in its groove, and clamps it securely.
Like you I went to check before giving fossy 'advice'. I have several 9sp RDs and the 4400, the 5500 and the 6500 all have this set up (though the 5500 has a bent over clamp both sides, not just one). Spookily, Shimano clearly describe how the clamp should be oriented. But what do they noe?
The seemingly small differences in the cable line make a difference and this can be deliberately used, as CJ describes:
https://www.cyclinguk.org/cyclists-library/components/transmission-gears/derailleur-gears/shimergo
1712317116688.png
And from Sheldon:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#alternate

Attachments

• 1712316534683.png
    1712316534683.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Except if you look, that square tab which is 'bent over' is designed to sit on the square edge (just above the spring in your image) which then fixes the tab I described (but is hidden in your image (assumed)) on top of the cable in its groove, and clamps it securely.
Like you I went to check before giving fossy 'advice'. I have several 9sp RDs and the 4400, the 5500 and the 6500 all have this set up (though the 5500 has a bent over clamp both sides, not just one). Spookily, Shimano clearly describe how the clamp should be oriented. But what do they noe?

Yep, my understanding is that the angled tab is there to prevent rotation of the flat point as it's tightened thus ensuring that the cable is clamped in the right place and doesn't move.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's the derailleur hanger, the second shift in your video is really poor and it doesn't shift into the last position.

I'd start from the beginning, removing the cable (just because it's been mashed a few times at the end, it'll start fraying apart soon), clean the shifter and make sure that there is enought lubricant in it, make sure the derailleur hanger is aligned properly and then reindex the gears making sure that you've also set the stops properly.

Nearly every shifting problem I have with Shimano has the derailleur hanger as the problem.

wonderloaf

Veteran
You're right, I've just been down to the garage to check on a slightly older Sora deraillure and it looks like the cable needs to be as far away from the bolt as possible.

On mine it's barely clinging on, but it is different to the Shimano diagram.

View attachment 726557

I checked another bike and it was the same. Both of these bikes shift perfectly.

I'd ignore the Shimano diagram and try to recreate what you see in the photo. I'm fairly confident this will solve your problem.

Same here, I've just had a look at one of my bikes with 9 speed Sora and the cable is set up the same as in your photo. I haven't actually ridden the bike for a year or so but I do remember being impressed at how good the shifting was, on a par with the other two bikes I've got with Ultegra set ups. I'm also pretty sure that's how they came out of the box, although can't swear to it.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Yep, my understanding is that the angled tab is there to prevent rotation of the flat point as it's tightened thus ensuring that the cable is clamped in the right place and doesn't move.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say it's the derailleur hanger, the second shift in your video is really poor and it doesn't shift into the last position.

I'd start from the beginning, removing the cable (just because it's been mashed a few times at the end, it'll start fraying apart soon), clean the shifter and make sure that there is enought lubricant in it, make sure the derailleur hanger is aligned properly and then reindex the gears making sure that you've also set the stops properly.

Nearly every shifting problem I have with Shimano has the derailleur hanger as the problem.

Already tried checking hanger alignment, twice - it's straight. Thanks though.

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Tried the other rear mech I had in my parts bin. Exactly the same problem. Either the shifter's broken, or the derailleurs seize up much quicker than what I'm used to.

I'll have a delivery from China next month.

1712324671013.png

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Why splurge £500 before giving your LBS a chance to sort it?

Tried the other rear mech I had in my parts bin. Exactly the same problem. Either the shifter's broken, or the derailleurs seize up much quicker than what I'm used to.

I'll have a delivery from China next month.

View attachment 726578

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
Best thing you can do is cancel that order and take it to a shop as I very much doubt you can fit that lot.😁

Good luck

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
Why splurge £500 before giving your LBS a chance to sort it?

Because I'm not willing to spend money on fixing a setup that I'm planning on replacing in a few months anyway. I've been maintaining my bikes for over a decade now and help run local Dr Bike sessions regularly so it's not like I'm inexperienced at this sort of thing.

I considered not providing an update at all so that I wouldn't have to deal with people questioning my judgement 🫠

Because I'm not willing to spend money on fixing a setup that I'm planning on replacing in a few months anyway. I've been maintaining my bikes for over a decade now and help run local Dr Bike sessions regularly so it's not like I'm inexperienced at this sort of thing.

I considered not providing an update at all so that I wouldn't have to deal with people questioning my judgement 🫠

Can I just add something. I`ve read all the comments and feel that something else is going on here. I too have a Sora equipped bike which started with the 3400 series. I always seemed to have had a problem with shifting up the cassette, perhaps mid gearing. It was something I put up with as it did`nt always do it. I, like the OP had changed cables etc, I fitted a new 3500 RD and even changed that to R3000. I never had a problem getting it into the lowest gear or highest gear. It was just that sometimes as I said mid cassette it would`nt shift but if I just pulled the cable by hand slightly it would magically play ball.

OK then what did I do ? As I said I`d changed cables outer and inners and still the same. I changed them again and this time to Shimano SP41, paying particular attention to the 300mm one that fits into the RD. This I bought pre-cut. I also fitted an SP 41 outer gear casing long nose, this goes into the RD. This is similar to what my 105 5800 bike has. The new cables elsewhere I made sure that they were cut properly with clean cuts and no drag. I also replaced the under bracket cable guide as this had a groove and added friction. The new one was a Shimano one. The problem was solved. I have recently upgraded to R3000 shifters and FD and it still works fine. When I first had the problem I thought that it was the STI shifter causing the problem. The shifting is as sweet as the 105.
Here is a link to the long outer casing cap.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334289709991

I know these things can get you down at times, sometimes you need to take a step back and look outside the box. Throwing money at something may not help at all. I hope you can get it sorted. I have taken a picture of my RD with the part in situ that I mentioned. If someone says my cable is`nt fitted correctly I`ll eat my hat ! Good luck

Attachments

• P1060983.JPG
    P1060983.JPG
    77.6 KB · Views: 13
Can I just add something. I`ve read all the comments and feel that something else is going on here. I too have a Sora equipped bike which started with the 3400 series. I always seemed to have had a problem with shifting up the cassette, perhaps mid gearing. It was something I put up with as it did`nt always do it. I, like the OP had changed cables etc, I fitted a new 3500 RD and even changed that to R3000. I never had a problem getting it into the lowest gear or highest gear. It was just that sometimes as I said mid cassette it would`nt shift but if I just pulled the cable by hand slightly it would magically play ball.

OK then what did I do ? As I said I`d changed cables outer and inners and still the same. I changed them again and this time to Shimano SP41, paying particular attention to the 300mm one that fits into the RD. This I bought pre-cut. I also fitted an SP 41 outer gear casing long nose, this goes into the RD. This is similar to what my 105 5800 bike has. The new cables elsewhere I made sure that they were cut properly with clean cuts and no drag. I also replaced the under bracket cable guide as this had a groove and added friction. The new one was a Shimano one. The problem was solved. I have recently upgraded to R3000 shifters and FD and it still works fine. When I first had the problem I thought that it was the STI shifter causing the problem. The shifting is as sweet as the 105.
Here is a link to the long outer casing cap.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334289709991

I know these things can get you down at times, sometimes you need to take a step back and look outside the box. Throwing money at something may not help at all. I hope you can get it sorted. I have taken a picture of my RD with the part in situ that I mentioned. If someone says my cable is`nt fitted correctly I`ll eat my hat ! Good luck
When I renew gear outers I file the cuts off clean and then open up the end with a sharpened spoke before fitting the ferrules.
This solves the drag issue.

Making up new outers is key and a dark art....

OP
OP
Boopop

Boopop

Guru
When I renew gear outers I file the cuts off clean and then open up the end with a sharpened spoke before fitting the ferrules.
This solves the drag issue.

Making up new outers is key and a dark art....

Yup, that's what I do too, only difference is I use a baking skewer to open up the cable.

Let us know the outcome as I am intrigued. Sora should be as good as any other Shimano group set. As you think that your right shifter is at fault are you going to try that first to see if the fault goes, rather than change the lot ? I have just changed my shifters for a little over £50 for R3000. It would have been a cheaper option, to have tried first ?
Regards

Last edited:
Top Bottom