Hembrow has deleted his blog

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I have been an occasional reader of some of his posts on the blog, but his constant harping on about how bad the UK is whilst living elsewhere grates a little. I'm interested in what they do elsewhere but not to have it automatically assumed that that is the right solution for the UK especially from someone not living here.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I know this might sound like pedantry, but I think it important. There is plenty of room on nearly every UK road to have full cycle facilities. After all most roads accommodate at least 2 lanes of traffic, often with parking and chevron dividers in the centre for right turns etc. Many major trunk roads, even in cities, are multiple lane affairs with large junctions.

What we (we as in society) have decided is how to divide this road-space up. And the collective decisions over years has arrived at the current situation.

Don't get me wrong. I don't particularly want every road to have segregated paths for bicycles - not least because it is unnecessary on many roads which could be treated to simply reduce speed / through traffic, and it is politically unacceptable anyway. When we have pathetic cycle facilities such as the one in your link it isn't because there isn't space for something dutch like (just look at the number of car lanes!); it is instead because we would prefer to use the space for cars, traffic engineers don't understand how people ride cycles, and don't prioritise cycling facilities. The reason that we have so many of these white line "facilities" is that it is easy to measure and cheap to install and they can then pretend that they are cycle friendly. My own council boasts of x miles of cycle lanes in the borough - neglecting to mention the quality of said cycle lanes.

Today's post on "As Easy As Riding A Bike" addresses this point rather well. Look at the white lines in Horsham. They are, as shown in the pictures, pretty good. But the problem is not the streets themselves but rather where the streets intersect. With each other. Murderous. I know. I have to bloody ride them.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
FFS! He flounces off from the interwebs deletes his blog and then reinstates it as if it was all part of some grand plan.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrcSWLU_wqZ53fa9pRoD5QrL4GXTrHKGcAlfFF5mB2GZrWs9z5lg.jpg
I'll see your frog and raise you the ultimate Hembrow-approved cycle path

superstudio2.jpg

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I can't help but notice that he's nicked the LCC's pic of Westminster Square. The man really is a basket case weaver

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Today's post on "As Easy As Riding A Bike" addresses this point rather well. Look at the white lines in Horsham. They are, as shown in the pictures, pretty good. But the problem is not the streets themselves but rather where the streets intersect. With each other. Murderous. I know. I have to bloody ride them.

I love the second to last picture on that blog/article, the little girl on the bike with a pair of mini panniers, which actually look functional.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Apparently cycling in London hasn't been increasing, and we're all deluded. :rolleyes:
My, how we laughed!

I did enjoy the sparring you did with him on bookface. How very dare you.

Top Bottom