Hi, from Kent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hatevessel

Regular
Hi all,

Used to tear about on mountain bikes as a kid, but gave up (on any form of fitness!) about 15 years ago. Currently in a fairly dreadful state, weighing in at a mighty 19 stone, so I'm looking to lose weight and get fit, commute to my local train station and hopefully have some fun in the process and really ramp up my excursions in the evenings and the weekend. I've been 'skinny' in recent years, but absolutely never fit and I'm hoping this will change as I'm not getting any younger.

I work in London and I've recently been taking Boris bikes out for quick spins... Good fun, although I reckon I'll enjoy the more laid back roads of Rochester.

I somewhat made a mistake by impulse buying a budget hybrid bike (260 quid jobby from cycle king). I've since read reviews of their Ammaco range which hasn't been particularly flattering, although none for my specific model, so I live in hope that it's reasonable and will last while I get myself in shape and move on to something a bit more serious. I was measured up and feel i got given some realistic advice from the guy down there. I pick it up at the weekend.

I'm concerned I won't be able to hack it at first, particularly as I live in a relatively hilly area, but I've been reading this forum and have found several success stories... So I see no reason why I can't also become part of this group.

Hoping to track my progress (I love collecting data) and hopefully have some worthwhile gains to report.

Cheers !

Ganymede

Veteran
Crumbs, I think I've got an old Ammaco in the garage. Very robust I remember, and I went on a short cycling holiday to Brittany with it years ago.

I'd say it will be fine for a start and when you get going you'll start to think about upgrading. BTW there are a lot of people on this forum who've lost loads of weight cycling - at least one guy on here at over 20 stone, so it can be done!

So anyway, :welcome:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
There's some nice lanes out of the Rochester area, although a few hills as well. To start off with you're not going to be doing big miles so maybe consider heading out along the river towards Chatham Dockyard, hardly pretty, but flat and the further east you get cycle paths.

If you are looking to transport the bike to ride then consider bits of the Isle of Grain, Cliffe towards Shorne is fairly flat from what I remember. Also don't be scared to pop over the hill beyond Maidstone, the Weald has some great lanes and is flat once you're at the bottom. Flat is good when you are starting :-)

I was somewhere in the 20-21 stone mark when I started cycling around 30 months ago and am 15 and a half now. That took disciplined eating regimes and more exercise than just cycling, but riding around on its own is still going to do good things.

Start off by sorting out a small loop with as little elevation as possible, 3-4 miles and branch out once you're happy with that.

Let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
Hatevessel

Hatevessel

Regular
Guys, thanks very much.

w00hoo_kent - good to have some instant local knowledge! I was thinking along the same lines in regards to heading out to Chatham, and probably further up into Gillingham via Brompton or down Pier Road towards The Strand (where my son lives).

My bread and butter commute will be to go either to Rochester station, or to Chatham station, starting from practically Borstal. Although Rochester Maidstone road is not a steep incline, it's pretty long so I think that'll be a good opportunity to build up some endurance. Honestly, at the moment, anything but a flat road is something of a struggle.

A more leisurely route I'm thinking is down to Borstal, over the motorway bridge, through Strood into Rochester and up the aforementioned Maidstone Road to home. It's a route I used to walk often and is around 5 miles.

Looking forward to the challenge. Also failed to mention that I'll be mixing up the cycling with exercise up at Rochester health club, so I'm really expecting to make some excellent progress this year.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Sounds good, I lost my weight through a diet of stubbornness and a mix of cycling and cross training. I have a cross trainer at home so there was no valid excuse not to do it (if I didn't cross it was all me). Keep a record of your weight once a week and you'll see it dropping, that was my biggest thing. Keep the record even when you've dropped down and it'll be easier to keep it off.

Cycling wise, sounds good. Living in Borstal you have a similar problem to me (I'm over the back of Maidstone) in that everywhere you go is either up or down so you're left with the choice, finish on a downhill, or finish with a climb. I tended to start by finishing with the downhill but I've no idea if it was the best option!

The loop across the bridge should be good, it's pretty sheltered now but be ready to dodge walkers meandering across the cycle path. Strood one way is a bit of a pig, but there's supposed to be a cycle path from Morrisons area round the back of the council (old council?) offices to the bridge which would make it easier, I've just never bothered looking for it (I'm always going the other way anyway). Star Hill will eclipse Rochester Maidstone Rd for steepness, again I tend to do Chatham Maidstone Rd because I'm coming from the Dockyard if I'm round there, that's steep to the Coop laundry, but then eases off and there's a boost near the registry office where the tarmac suddenly gets better. If you're riding up from Chatham station it might be worth considering, cut across at Huntsmans corner, although there's no cycle paths I've never had problems with traffic along there, I think they recognise that you have enough problems climbing the hill!

The trip to the Strand is really where I'd start, almost no hills (the jink by Amherst on the way up and Pier Rd on the way back) and lots of cycle paths, plus a lot of the roads are quieter thanks to the way they've mucked up the one way system. You'll still have to face the climb just before you get home though.

It doesn't start easy, but persevere with it, it's surprising how quickly a little bit of cycling gets you conditioned to doing things you didn't think possible at the outset. Expect every hill to be a git first time you do it, they get better around the fourth or fifth. Don't be afraid to use the easier gears and if you need to get off for a bit either stand and get your breath back, or walk for a bit. You'll be doing less of it next time and when you can do the hill in one it'll feel amazing.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
:welcome: to CC from sunny Norfolk

Chrisz

Über Member
Welcome from just down the road in Sittingbourne:smile:

If you want a flatter route have a look at Lower Road which runs alongside the main A2 but by the side of the river - usually pretty quiet, almost completely flat and brings you out at the back of Sittingbourne!

OP
OP
Hatevessel

Hatevessel

Regular
Hi!

Had a small stumbling block in the form of a last minute holiday that started the day after I picked up my bike. The trek up Maidstone Road on my first trip ended with me walking with the bike for approximately 70% of it! But it felt good, I'm in no way deluded to how much work this is going to take to get up to speed. Although my bike is a budget hybrid, it feels far and away better than what I'm used to with ultra cheap MTB's and feels so light in comparison. I'm happy with it so far, lets hope it lasts.

I went out on a quick 20 minute lap last night, and today I will be a bit more adventurous as I'm now armed with some cycling shorts! Arse ache has been an issue.

jjk9NJy

Sorry for lack of feedback, it really was a last minute thing.

And welcome to camperdown9

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Great for getting out, the image didn't load but seeing as it followed the statement 'Arse ache' that might be a good thing!

No worries about walking some, my tip is don't be afraid to stop, have a breather, and then pedal on for a bit. At the very least, don't think you can't begin to cycle again on a hill you are walking, the gradients change. The less you walk, the more of an achievement it'll feel.

I think you might be getting tested with rainy weather soon...

Top Bottom