Hi from Oldbury in the Midlands

• Thread starter Deleted member 22722
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 22722

Hi all,

I've been lurking on these forums for the last couple of months gaining a wealth of knowledge from all members and thought it was about time I posted a quick note to say hello.

I hail from Oldbury, not far from Junction 2 of the M5 in the Midlands and have recently taken the plunge and gotten into biking. The main reason, like a lot of other people i've read about on here, was because I found that my 40 years had suddenly crept up on me and before I knew it I was tipping 19.5 stone on the scales. I think that in part, the weight started to pile on once i'd given up the ciggies 2 years ago. A general lack of any exercise over the past 10 years hasn't helped things. either.

I'll also be relocating offices at work in about 12 months time and I'll no longer have access to free parking. So unless I want to fork out around £500 a year on a parking pass I have to come up with an alternative.

So about 3 months ago I decided that I was going to get myself a road bike, slowly build up my fitness with the aim of being able to cycle into work in 12 months time. As I only work 5 miles away I thought that this would be a realistic target that I could achieve.

Before I contemplated jumping on a bike it was my intention to drop some of the excess weight as I assumed that it would make the cycling part a whole lot easier. I spent around 8 weeks eating a lot healthier, cutting out the crap like crisps, chocolates and fast food and I dropped 2 stone. I immediately felt a whole lot healthier and was surprised at how much extra energy that I had, even though I am still classed as obese.

During this time I was doing a lot of research on biking and this is how I came across the CycleChat forums. My knowledge of bikes was severely limited as I hadn't ridden a bike since I was about 19 and at college. Well that's a small lie because I bought a mountain bike from Decathlon around 7 years ago, it was completely the wrong size for me (which I didn't know at the time) and I ended up riding it on about 6 occasions before it sat unused in the garage.

I am lucky enough in that my employer partakes in the CycleScheme so it was an easy way for me to purchase a more suitable bike whilst saving a little cash at the same time.

After reading a lot of reviews I'd narrowed my choices down to around 3 or 4 different model road bikes. Not knowing what size i'd need though I wanted to check them out in the flesh to make sure that it would suit me. After going to a couple of LBS's I came across one that just happened to have a Giant Defy 1 in stock and in my size too. I gather trying to find one of these in stock anywhere let alone in the right size is an achievement in itself so I plonked down a deposit and arranged my voucher through work.

2 weeks later I took delivery of my new bike (i'd post a picture of it but I'm not sure how to do that - anyone care to enlighten me?). After getting kitted out with all of the essentials, new helmet, gloves, cycling shorts etc I was eager get on the bike. At the same time I was very hesitant of riding on the roads not having done this on a bicycle in over 20 years. I therefore decided to start riding when there was less traffic on the roads, early mornings and later at night. I've been driving since I was 18 and riding motorcycles since I was 25 and I think the motorcycle riding more than anything has been the biggest aid over the past few weeks. Road positioning, braking, riding in the wet, looking out for potholes etc are essentially the same on a motorbike as they are on a bicycle and my confidence on the bike has increased very quickly. At the same time I am always assume every other user of the road, including pedestrians are idiots.

I'm into my 4th week of riding so far and I've been getting out every other day/night at the moment (work & family commitments overrule my cycling pleasures unfortunately). My first time out I started out with a measly 4-5 mile ride, which I was dead proud of. Bearing in mind that my goal was to cycle the 5 miles to work and back in 12 months time. I've noticed that with each ride I'm getting faster and my stamina is increasing to the point that I'm not ready to pass out when I get home (one of the hills between home and my workplace has still yet to be conquered though) . More importantly, I feel great and alive after a ride. The additional exercise is also helping with the weight loss and I'm now under 17 stone for the first time in heaven knows how long.

I am regularly riding between 13-15 miles at this point in just over an hour and have decided that I will start riding to work once the kids go back to school next week. I'll start off riding in once the first week, twice the second week and so on. I'll probably give myself a rest day mid week and continue to drive in on a Wednesday in the short term.

Anyhow, I've rambled on for far too long.

Cheers
Alexis

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Managed to find out how to upload a photo. Well here's my pride and joy. I'm very happy with my choice but that still hasn't stopped me looking for a potential second bike ^_^
IMG_1181.JPG

Welcome!

I'm a newbie myself having only just got back into cycling, your story is quite inspiring- good luck with your goals now and in the future! Fellow newbies can really use this as motivation to get out there and ride! :bicycle:

Boon 51

Veteran
Hi from mme as well... :smile:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Hello.
Can't fault your motivation, plan or achievements. Looks like you have taken on board the advice that bounces around this site.
Have you had a health check-up? I got one recently because I was over 40 and don't visit the doctor (generally either healthy or in need of A&E - nothing in between). Would give you a great base-line for your next stage.
I'm 41 too, and whilst never got to anywhere near your weight, and still substantially fitter than 10 years ago. Look forward to catching up for a ride, and showing you the hills to the south that are worth a bash (Romsley, Clent, etc)

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

[QUOTE 2008488, member: 45"]Welcome Alexis.

The Black Country, eh? You'll be used to hills then.[/quote]

I spent the first couple of weeks planning my routes to try and avoid anything that remotely resembled a hill. I quickly realised I was going to lose that battle so have started hitting some of the smaller ones head on. I'm sure i'll get better in time.

The Portway Hill and Mucklow Hill still scare the bejeezus out of me if you know them ^_^

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 22722

Hello.
Can't fault your motivation, plan or achievements. Looks like you have taken on board the advice that bounces around this site.
Have you had a health check-up? I got one recently because I was over 40 and don't visit the doctor (generally either healthy or in need of A&E - nothing in between). Would give you a great base-line for your next stage.
I'm 41 too, and whilst never got to anywhere near your weight, and still substantially fitter than 10 years ago. Look forward to catching up for a ride, and showing you the hills to the south that are worth a bash (Romsley, Clent, etc)

Cheers BrumJim, that's some good advice which I'm definitely going to follow up on. Like you, I can't remember the last time I had to go to the docs for myself. But I suppose i'm at that age where I should really go for a check up. I've thought about it in the past but unless I know there is something wrong with me I've felt that I'd be wasting the docs time when they could be seeing to someone else instead.

I see that you are in Selly Oak. Funnily enough I was down your neck of the woods only a couple of hours ago. A couple of beastly inclines (for me at least) on my way back home. What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger I guess.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Cheers BrumJim, that's some good advice which I'm definitely going to follow up on. Like you, I can't remember the last time I had to go to the docs for myself. But I suppose i'm at that age where I should really go for a check up. I've thought about it in the past but unless I know there is something wrong with me I've felt that I'd be wasting the docs time when they could be seeing to someone else instead.

I got invited in for a health check - wasn't my initiative. Its a nurse that does it rather than the GP. They would probably be delighted to see you anyway. Its not as though you are rushing there due to a runny nose - I believe that the NHS has a wider remit with regard to public health and therefore helps their stats and bonuses if they do some health checks.

Top Bottom