Hi (shyly)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Welcome to the forum, we all start from somewhere and if any one gives you a hard time for it- it's more their problem then yours.

Enjoy CC- ask away!
Goodness, what a lot of replies....how nice you all are. I hope you don't mind if I don't answer you all. People don't really give me a hard time... I just feel such a klutz that I can barely get a word out!

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Welcome, quite new myself to here.

What bike do you ride?:welcome:
You are going to laugh... a five speed Raleigh Panache that I bought in 1985 or 6. I used to go out on rides on a sunday on my own back then, even went 10 miles down the A1 in the dark on it once. That was a bit exciting.

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Welcome - and no, you don't seem dim.

A year ago I hadn't a clue what a 'bottom bracket' was. Now I've got half a clue at least.

Keep getting out of the door, particularly as it's (supposed to be) getting warmer.
I now know what a bottom bracket is as apparently mine is knackered, well no, my bike's is ... that explains the graunchy noise when I start from stationary and the way the pedals go round a bit odd. This is partly why I started posting, can't decide what to do next... I won't get into it here though, need to get my brain into gear.

hotmetal

Welcome from me too. Don't worry about not 'knowing about' bikes – this forum has got everyone from bike mechanics, seasoned commuters/racers/MTBers to complete beginners and generally everyone likes to help (or at least put their twopennorth in). You don't have to be 'knowledgeable' to fit in round here, just a bicycle. Avoid discussing the pros and cons of wearing helmets and you'll be fine…!

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
:welcome:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Hi, this is a bit weird for me, posting on a cycle forum. Though not, it has to be said, as trying to sound intelligible in a cycle shop when you don't know your bottom bracket from your handlebars. I am ashamed to say that I am spectacularly inept about bikes despite the fact that they have been my main means of transport for 28 years. Anyway, after a breakdown and spending most of the last 8 years in hospital I decided to start going for cycle rides again in October and now I go 2 or three times a week for an hour or two. I am really enjoying it even if it sometimes takes an effort to get out the door. Anyway, please be patient with me if I seem dim...I am trying!

:welcome: Kate: watch out for the cycle shop man: he's gonna try to sell you a new bike! :laugh:

OP
OP
KateK

KateK

Hi Kate. Welcome to CycleChat!

There are a lot of people here who don't know much about bikes but there are also people who are very helpful in trying to answer questions about them. It is always a good idea to use the search box (top right) before asking a question though, because many topics have been done to death!

We have had quite a few threads about depression, and there are quite a few of us who have had mental health problems of one sort or another so you won't be alone there either.

I found riding my bike helped cleared my head after the illnesses/deaths of my parents and when I was having problems at work. It's a great stress-buster.

Several CC members organise local 'forum rides'. We get together and ride out to cafes from time to time. Keep your eyes open for those in the CC & Informal Rides and Events forum if you fancy coming along on one of them. If you don't mind people knowing what area you come from, you can add it to your profile and it will appear in the box on the left of each of your posts.

Keep on posting!
Thanks Colin. I find the cycling really helps. I don't even mind winter weather too much... I did twenty miles today, a little bit gusty, not too wet here, quite fun.. I used to go mountaineering so I'm used to rain.

Psyclist

Über Member
Nah, I won't laugh, I'm quite a retro bike fan. I recently sold my '79 Viking to fund my more modern bike, but will be buying another retro bike come future. :becool:

Top Bottom