High 5 Gels/drinks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lesley_x

Über Member
Just took advantage of the Halfords High 5 race pack deal, having been caught short a few times in summer and had to dive into a shop for jelly tots :blush:

Didn't quite realise how much stuff came in it (pretty amazing deal tbh) and now I have gels coming out my ears, which is fine. But I read quite a lot of people get stomach cramps/diarrhoea/vomiting when using gels and energy drinks.

Have you had these problems, and in particular with high 5 stuff? How can it be avoided?

Cheers

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I don't rely on gels, but I do keep a couple in my saddle bag when going on a long ride, I prefer to eat proper food but sometimes this isn't always possible.

I've never had cramps from gels, but some products that contain protein have been known to cause bad gas.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Gels seem to go right through me.
High 5 drinks, I use just the one tab in a bidon during the summer, and if I have no tabs then squash with a pinch of salt added does fine. And to be honest unless you are a highly toned, racing cycling athlete, there really is no point in wasting money on gels or tabs.

400bhp

Guru
I seem to get stomach cramps with technical food when a) I am doing more than 60 miles and b) technical food is the only food I have had.

I live and learnt.

Colin S

Über Member
Graeme Obree suggests marzipan as an energy food. I tried it and it is surprisingly easy to eat if you break it up into bite sized pieces before you put it in your pocket. That and a drink of diluted orange juice or water.

C

MikeW-71

Veteran
I've had no problems with the High5 drinks and gels and they (mostly) taste nice too. The Citrus gels are revolting though.

I don't use them a lot though, I'll take one with me for emergency as they seem to get into the system quicker than solid food, but I prefer to just stop for a few minutes and have a bit of flapjack or something.

If it's a hot day, I'll drop a Zero tab into my bottles.

SS Retro

I have been buying these boxes for about a year now at £9.99 (just stocked up via the Halfords offer). My wife complains that every time she opens a kitchen cupboard another High5 bottle jumps out at her!

Prefer high5 to SiS, one of the caffeine energy gels just before I set off works well for me.

Last edited:

openroad

For me I just take squash and water and may take a bit of marzipan from now!!!It's just case of finding what suits you. :smile:

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I picked up two of those race packs today...even the wife was impressed with the amount of stuff supplied (that and she bagged one of the bottles for the gym).

I have a couple of boxes of High5 gels and I don't have an issue with them. I always take 2 or 3 on rides in case I get my timings wrong for food stops etc.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
I've had no problems with the High5 drinks and gels and they (mostly) taste nice too. The Citrus gels are revolting though.

I don't use them a lot though, I'll take one with me for emergency as they seem to get into the system quicker than solid food, but I prefer to just stop for a few minutes and have a bit of flapjack or something.

If it's a hot day, I'll drop a Zero tab into my bottles.

I like Nuun tabs, grape is my favourite, that or strawberry lemonade. Banana high5 gels taste ok.

Peteaud

Veteran
The zero tabs are ok.

I quite like the energy drink for flavour, cant remember what one it was, lemon and lime or citrus i think.

Did try Zipvit Kiwi gel and not bad, Torq Cherry yoghurt is very nice tho, and i carry one just in case on long rides.

vickster

Legendary Member
I like the pink grapefruit hi five zero. Gels though, yech, I can't physically swallow them

Top Bottom