High-rise squirrel !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
I live in a top-floor flat in Leith, and two years ago I put up some bird-feeders on the balcony. After a while, I started getting gangs of bluetits, greefinches and sparrows (and starlings if I put some fatballs up (oooh Matron !)). Very nice to see and watch.

Imagine my surprise this afternoon when I looked out of my bedroom window onto the balcony and saw a grey squirrel hanging upside-down from one of the feeders, scoffing the peanuts !!! I'm still trying to work out how he knew there were peanuts up here and then scaled a 5-storey block of flats to get at them !!

He sat staring cheekily at me, even when I was banging on a window 5cm from him. In the end, after taking some pics and video, I got a high-pressure plant sprayer out and gave him a good squirting. He clambered up the wall and vanished over the roof.

I guess I'll have to invest in some squirrel-proof feeders, something I'd never have imagined needing up here !!

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
Once again, this thread is of no use without PICS:biggrin:;)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Those bleedin' squirrels are buggers aren't they... I try everything to stop them getting at the bird food.. but they always find a way to get at the stuff.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My father in law is retired and spends lots of his time coming up with bird feeders that the buggers can't get to - but they eventually do. Current one is a long chrome hanger rail, mounted to the fence with a feeder on the top - it's about 6 feet above the top of the fence, and the pole is slippy (and has oil on it). Well said squirrel now does huge jumps to grab the bottom of the feeder and swing there whilst munching away.....

OP
OP
goo_mason

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
When she was wee, my daughter used to help my Dad refill his bird-feeders. He used to top them up with peanuts and then give them a shake. This then became a family joke as we used to say she was off to shake Grandpaw's nuts and play with his fatballs ;):biggrin::biggrin:

Pics ? Sorry - this is the area where I live:

145296286_aa013fbe45.jpg

and this was Mr (or Mrs or Ms) Grey Squirrel in action:

2860787040_7a9067229f.jpg

Danny

Legendary Member
From my experience of Leith, I'm surprised you haven't had some of the local population hanging upside down trying to eat your nuts.

Mind you, you look like your in the nice part of Leith.

Mr Pig

goo_mason said:
I'm still trying to work out how he knew there were peanuts up here...

squirrel4.jpg

buggi

Bird Saviour
i like squirrels ;)

my dad has got a squirrel proof feeder. it's basically a tall pole that is too wide for the squirrel to put his arms round. it's about 8 foot tall with the feeder on top.

Mr Pig

buggi said:
it's a tall pole that is too wide for the squirrel to put his arms round. it's 8 foot tall with the feeder on top.

Good grief! Why not just put out enough nuts for everyone and avoid the ugly Krypton Factor ironmongery in your garden? ;0)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Your high rise squirrell reminded me of a photo I took a few years back in my garden. Here you go... .. (cheeky little blighter)

Top Bottom