Highway code rule H2

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
So what happened? Did the driver stop or did you have to scarper?

I didn't want to reveal all the details on a public forum, but seeing as the incident is over a year ago, this is what transpired. The car stopped before hitting me, so I told the driver he should have stopped to let me cross the road and he needs to read the Highway code. He got out of his car and threatened to "Drop me", a nearby resident saw the altercation and ran over, this resident was over 6ft 5inch and a looked like a body builder. The resident body builder told the car driver to get back into his car and leave. The car driver drove off. I was walking in North Warrington, it isn't a great area.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
read the link in the OP. it states...
  • give way to pedestrians crossing or waiting to cross a road into which or from which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
unless you're asking where on the carriageway you should stop the car? Surely the answer to that is obvious??

Of course that is what I was saying, as should have been obvious from the context of the post I was responding to.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

Cerdic

Minimum safe stopping distance. You car is equipped with brake lights for a reason. If you get rear ended by some muppet driving behind you, that is not the fault of a pedestrian crossing the road.

Well, exactly. I never implied that the pedestrian would be at fault!

But at the same time I would rather not be rear ended by some muppet who’s not looking where they are going…

Alex321

Veteran
you replied to this...

with this...

have you worked out where to stop the car?

I wasn't asking a question.

You stop the car wherever is necessary.

My first post was in response to somebody stating that the new rules say you must stop with your tail end sticking out into the road you were turning from. I was pointing out that the rules say no such thing.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

My first post was in response to somebody stating that the new rules say you must stop with your tail end sticking out into the road you were turning from. I was pointing out that the rules say no such thing.

Reading back, now i understand. it was just pedantry.

classic33

Leg End Member

I'll take this chance to point out that what you're saying isn't what was posted.
Nor is it what you said, in response.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Well, exactly. I never implied that the pedestrian would be at fault!

But at the same time I would rather not be rear ended by some muppet who’s not looking where they are going…
So to avoid the small risk of being rear endowed by an incompetent driver ( who shouldn't be driving, therefore) while sat in the far end of a safety cage, is it OK to routinely funk walkers crossing side roads?

Bonus question to anyone answering "yes": what does such blatant flouting of a core principle of the current highway code suggest about your driving competence?

Top Bottom