England : Greater Manchester Hilly Hundred

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Miles 48 1/2 to 52, change it to going on Cob lane, emmot lane and then down school lane (laneshawbridge) or even detour to the lane ends pub....excellent food and always have the open fire going on cold days.

OP
OP
middleagecyclist

middleagecyclist

Call me MAC
I'm having pangs of conscience now.

The road from Tottington to Blackburn is a delight but.....
- it's tough
- some of the short descents near Tottington could be nasty in the wet - I see you intend to do it on a dry day, but take care if the road is wet from overnight rain
- and the final descent in to Blackburn is dangerous. The locals may not agree, but I've lost the back wheel three times out of four, and I'm reasonably circumspect these days. The problem is that it gets steeper as you near the traffic lights near Tescos.
I know the road from Tottington to Edgeworth pretty well. Does the Roman Rd get more bumpy after Edgeworth? I thought it would be a climb up and over like the nearby Broadhead Rd. Looks very nice on Google maps anyway.

I still think that you would have to be lucky with the weather to tackle my route in January. It includes some fabulous singletrack lanes which probably see little sun in the winter, and even less salt/grit!
I am reconsidering doing this in January, particularly as i'm adding more smaller roads and lanes. I'm going to cobble a fast, flat and main roadish route together for bad weather and this is likely going to be used for the first Century ride of 2013.

Miles 48 1/2 to 52, change it to going on Cob lane, em motet lane and then down school lane (laneshawbridge) or even detour to the lane ends pub....excellent food and always have the open fire going on cold days.
Cob lane would be good but planning to call on relatives at Foulridge so needs dictate otherwise i'm afraid.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm glad that you are reconsidering the date because some of my suggestions could have been really dodgy in the winter! Descending a twisty-turny 20% hill into a very shaded valley is asking for trouble if there is any chance of ice ... :whistle:

Also, with the short hours of daylight and stopping off to visit relatives, you'd have probably ended up doing quite a bit of the ride in the dark. Better to enjoy the views in the Spring, especially if we get another sunny one like the past few.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I know the road from Tottington to Edgeworth pretty well. Does the Roman Rd get more bumpy after Edgeworth?
it crosses two ravines. That's an odd word to use, but a one in seven descent followed by a one in six ascent is a ravine of sorts. If you get it right, all is good - I've got to the other side of the first one in top gear, but, then again I've been reduced to bottom gear. It then goes down another one in seven with a left bend at the bottom that could well be in shade. And..........maybe this is foolishness on my part, but I've found the really tricky bit to be in Blackburn.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I know the road from Tottington to Edgeworth pretty well. Does the Roman Rd get more bumpy after Edgeworth? I thought it would be a climb up and over like the nearby Broadhead Rd. Looks very nice on Google maps anyway.

I am reconsidering doing this in January, particularly as i'm adding more smaller roads and lanes. I'm going to cobble a fast, flat and main roadish route together for bad weather and this is likely going to be used for the first Century ride of 2013.

Cob lane would be good but planning to call on relatives at Foulridge so needs dictate otherwise i'm afraid.
Ah but there is a shortcut thru over the back roads, very nice quiet lanes.

U

User482

Been working on a nice hilly imperial century route I can do from my house. I know a lot of the roads already but not the bit from Blackburn to Barrowford and from Rochdale to Oldham. Any suggestions of bits to avoid/include without changing the overall distance much would be appreciated. Ta.

Instead of going from Bury to Tottington, I prefer to go Elton - Walshaw - Affetside via Watling St, meeting the Tottington Rd just before the junction with the A676. After point 21 on your route, turn right onto Tockholes Rd and turn right onto Bog Height Rd just before point 29. A bit shorter than your route, but the road's very quiet, it's a nice climb/ descent and you get a good view of Darwen Tower.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I gave up on Bikely because it wouldn't let me save my route. I've put it here on MapMyRide instead. Sorry if you are not already registered - I've just discovered that the site requires you to register before allowing you to download routes!

Some notes ...

I know the route from Whitebirk roundabout, Blackburn as far as Shaw. I'm looking at OS maps to guess the nicest route from Heaton Park to Whitebirk, and I have no idea from Shaw so listen to what Pennine-Paul has to say about that.

I tried routing to the west and north of Blackburn but the ride came in way over-distance so I've gone south and east instead.

I didn't like the look of Bury, so I have routed via Radcliffe instead. There might be some reason why that isn't a great idea, but I'm not a local so I don't know. It looks a lot less busy than going via Bury, that's all!

I was thinking along the same lines as User482 and selected Affetside rather than Tottington.

I thought the road from Edgworth to Blackburn looked promising and Dellzeqq has confirmed that.

The roads I chose from Grimshaw to Whitebirk look like the best choice to me.

The dual carriageway from Whitebirk wasn't too bad last time I did it. I wouldn't fancy it in bad weather or in the rush hour, but I think there was a cycle path alongside it anyway. I have taken the route off up a hill half way along the bypass. You could stay on the A6119 and then take the A666 to Wilpshire but my way is nicer!

It's a descent from New Inns all the way to the Ribble, just pausing to cross the beastly (geddit?) A666 on the way down.

Turn right just before the bridge and follow a lovely little lane round to Whalley via Old Langho and Billington. Apologies for the steep little climb on the way, which caught out some fixie riders on one of my rides in the spring! :thumbsup:

Climb up to the busy A671. Spring Wood picnic centre is directly across from the traffic lights. There are toilets there if you need to empty yourself, or top up your bottles. There is also usually a van parked at the entrance where you could probably get hot or cold drinks.

You only need to do a few yards on the A671 before turning left off it. Head round to Sabden and from there you have a choice - a really nasty steep climb of Black Hill to Padiham Heights or take the longer route which is merely nasty!

I agree with Christopher about the Forest of Pendle route but I would follow it all the way to Blacko, avoiding Barrowford - much nicer. It's a singletrack road in places with great views of Pendle Hill.

forest-of-pendle-lane-cyclechatters.jpg

pendle-hill-from-forest-of-pendle-wide.jpg

cycle-chatters-forest-of-pendle-wide.jpg

I agree that the A681 is a lovely climb in terms of gradient and scenery, but I take issue with Christopher on the safety question. It actually featured in a list of the UK's most dangerous roads! It would have been superb before fast-moving traffic came along, but it is twisty turny and I found that drivers were cutting me up quite badly. I rode up there on the North-West Passage audax in 2007 and met a very irate audaxer in Gisburn after the descent from Greystone. A farmer towing a livestock trailer had overtaken him on a blind bend and then swerved left into him when confronted by an oncoming truck! The cyclist had been left battered and bruised at the side of the road. TAKE CARE UP THERE!

The little lane from Stocks House to 'Barlick' (Barnoldswick) is another delight, but not one for iffy weather conditions.

You'll no doubt know the roads from there round to Hebden Bridge? Very up and down but lovely cycling.

I'm not quite sure why your original route went down Main Street in Haworth? You come from there, so you know what you are doing, but I wouldn't ride down a steep little cobbled Yorkshire street which has tourists meandering about all over it when I could stay on the main road and bypass it! (Unless of course you want to stop off at one of the cafes there, in which case - carry on!)

The Crag Vale climb is long by UK standards but not steep, averaging 3.3% for 5.5 miles, with only one steepish bit halfway. The cross-headwind higher up can often be more of a problem than the hill.

From Blackstone Edge, you have that fabulous descent to Littleborough, and an easy ride back from there. Pretty much all of the climbing is finished 20 miles from home!

Let's hope that we get another fine Spring. I'd be tempted to save the ride until then. :whistle:

I hope that helps! :thumbsup:

Hicky

Guru
From Shaw I'd cut down the b6195 towards chadderton fold then through to Middleton junction and up greengate(much safer choice than broadway) up to moston lane then throw a right towards blackley.
Or Smithybridge down the canal to Castleton then through Middleton-Rhodes up to Heston park and extend the miles somewhere else....Or from Castleton head up to Langley then bowlee and down into rhodes.
I cycle Rochdale/Oldham often, I hate broadway with a passion.

Top Bottom