Hit-and-run cyclist badly injures girl, 9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article3827942.ece

A girl aged 9 was critically ill in hospital last night after she was struck by a hit-and-run cyclist.
Leila Crofts was crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing in Branksome, Dorset, with her au pair on Friday when she was hit and knocked unconscious. She was taken to Southampton General Hospital where her condition was described last night as being critical but stable. Police said that shortly afterwards the cyclist got off his bike, picked it up and walked into nearby gardens.
A man aged 38 presented himself at Bournemouth police station on Saturday morning. He is in custody helping police with their inquiries.

BigonaBianchi

Yes I can, Yes I am, Yes I did...Repeat.
sad and I hope she mends fully. looks like he turned himself in though.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I hope they throw the book at him.

Can't see the full article, but I wonder whether in the interests of balance, and before the anti-cyclist brigade start foaming at the mouth, it mentions the 700,000 odd other road casualties each year, almost all of which are caused by motorists?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Does the relevant law apply definitively to cyclists? Norfolk police say

Definition of a road traffic collision
The law defines a reportable road traffic collision as an accident involving a mechanically-propelled vehicle on a road or other public area which causes:
  • Injury or damage to anybody - other than the driver of that vehicle,
  • Injury or damage to an animal- other than one being carried on that vehicle (an animal is classes as a horse, cattle, ass, mule, sheep, pig, goat or dog).
  • Damage to a vehicle - other than the vehicle which caused the accident.
  • Damage to property constructed on, affixed to, growing in, or otherwise forming part of the land where the road is.
If they take place in a public place the police can investigate off-road collisions, for example, collisions in car parks, which, because they are open to the public, are deemed public places.

What to do if you are involved in a collision
If you are the driver you MUST:
  • Stop and remain at the scene for a reasonable time,
  • Give your name and address, vehicle registration number, and details of the owner (if different) to anyone with reasonable grounds for asking for these details.
  • If you do not exchange those at the scene you must report the accident at a police station as soon as possible and within 24 hours in any case.
When another person involved is injured you must:
  • Produce your certificate of insurance to anyone at the scene having reasonable grounds to see it.
  • If you don’t have your certificate with you then you may take it to the police station when you report the incident (within 24 hours). This must be produced within seven days.
This applies, not only if your vehicle was directly involved in the collision, but also if your vehicle’s presence was a factor.
If you have any doubts we advise you to report the collision regardless of who was at fault.
Failure to do so can mean you are committing two offences;- failure to stop and failure to report.
The penalties for each offence include a fine and penalty points on your licence. The court can also disqualify you from driving for either or both offences.

Hope the girl gets better as far as the incident is concerned ill reserve judgement until the full facts are known.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 2571483, member: 259"]I don't know, but I can't imagine colliding with a nine year old child and then not stopping, even if I was on foot.[/quote]
Neither can I. But I'm trying to establish the facts of the law...

172traindriver

Legendary Member
The fact he left the scene does not sound good, but surely wait till all facts emerge before condemning him.
The injured girls health is the most important thing firstly.

Kookas

Über Member
The fact he left the scene does not sound good, but surely wait till all facts emerge before condemning him.
The injured girls health is the most important thing firstly.

There's very little that could emerge now that would take the burden of guilt off this guy. Even if it turns out that the girl ran out in front of him with 3 yards to spare as he was doing 30mph, he has no excuse for not stopping and for that should probably get the harshest damning we can give. It's not as if he could be unaware of having hit someone.

Top Bottom