Hobby suggestion thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Metal detecting, I have been saving up for one and should have enough by the end of the month.
I'm only going to do beach, it will get me out and I love being by the sea.

I've blown me dough on a metal detector :smile:
metal detector.jpg

ianpallen

Über Member
I would love to do metal detecting again. Not done it since I was in Cornwall and Devon in 2004 - 2006.

plantfit

Guru
Some of my 1/76 scale model buses and coaches, some I have stripped the paint off and re-sprayed them using correct colours and decals for different bus companies )I think they are called code three)
DSCF1632_(2).jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
As far as I'm concerned, 10 milliseconds down a cave wouldn't be fun... My dread of confined spaces deep underground is only exceeded by my fear of extremely unconfined spaces high above ground (exposed heights)! :laugh:

Heights in caves are less scary than above ground as it's dark. Mind you I nearly bottled a 300m abseil when I looked down to see 5 cavers' lamps below me spaced some 40m apart. (once you've passed each belay, the next person can start down). It was an epic trip so glad I carried on, emerging from the bottom entrance some 14 hours later

Jameshow

Veteran
Heights in caves are less scary than above ground as it's dark. Mind you I nearly bottled a 300m abseil when I looked down to see 5 cavers' lamps below me spaced some 40m apart. (once you've passed each belay, the next person can start down). It was an epic trip so glad I carried on, emerging from the bottom entrance some 14 hours later

My cave leader years ago was a professor in Bio sciences...

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I love bouldering walls, but put me on a rope more than 15 feet off the ground and I start to sweat.
I won't be going near your abseil!

Being in confined undergroud spaces is a bit 'ick' but not as bad as being on a rope at height.
Having said that, I saw Goatchurch mentioned earlier, and the passage known as the Drainpipe is pretty awful. It was first ever cave!
Found someone's video on youtube for all;; enjoy the drainpipe.

Jameshow

Veteran
I love bouldering walls, but put me on a rope more than 15 feet off the ground and I start to sweat.
I won't be going near your abseil!

Being in confined undergroud spaces is a bit 'ick' but not as bad as being on a rope at height.
Having said that, I saw Goatchurch mentioned earlier, and the passage known as the Drainpipe is pretty awful. It was first ever cave!
Found someone's video on youtube for all;; enjoy the drainpipe.

Takes me back! That was easy for me being drainpipe thin at the time! Some of the larger members of the group struggled!!🤣

plantfit

Guru

ianpallen

Über Member
Ian, I have a few of these model buses, I enjoy changing the livery on them to represent some of the buses I used to travel on as a kid when I lived in Nottingham I don't know why I chose to collect them because I've never driven one or worked on any

View attachment 698541 [/url
This is one I converted from a red and white London trolley bus to Nottingham city transport Trolley bus, correct colours and transfers

I think memories are great when you see a vehicle you have travelled in. Memories can fade, but seeing one can bring those memories back. :smile:

Top Bottom