Hobby suggestion thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How about suggesting new hobby ideas for those looking for something new to try? I'll start,

Green woodworking
Wooden spoon making
Cacti propagation and growing
Terrariums
Green man stump carving
Canoe building
Fountain pens

PS these are all things I've read about but can't seem to get started on. They're not quite right for me so I'm looking for that something I'm going to actually like and start, hence this thread.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Jewellery making and or recycling, model making, writing, painting.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I'm wish I'd photographed the canoes, kayaks and paddles a former canoeing friend made. Canadian out of strip wood, sea kayak out of strip wood and a few other things. All made by glueing straps together to create the shape. Works of art and design!

Chislenko

Veteran
How about suggesting new hobby ideas for those looking for something new to try? I'll start,

Green woodworking
Wooden spoon making
Cacti propagation and growing
Terrariums
Green man stump carving
Canoe building
Fountain pens

PS these are all things I've read about but can't seem to get started on. They're not quite right for me so I'm looking for that something I'm going to actually like and start, hence this thread.

I do a sort of "green woodworking" already.

I make repurposed furniture from old stuff which otherwise would be sent to the tip.

To enhance my "green" credentials I only use hand tools (saws, planes etc) so no electricity is being used in the construction.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Long wanted to do metal detecting just never got around to it yet. I have even been offered land to search. I must get going on it soon.

Long wanted to do metal detecting just never got around to it yet. I have even been offered land to search. I must get going on it soon.

I'm not that interested in the physical detecting bit, but had I the time, I'd be interested in getting in to the research of either where to look, or investigating why the finds could have ended up where they did.

Chislenko

Veteran
This is a wardrobe carcass I have just made from an old computer desk and an old Welsh dresser.

As shows it is primarily for my cycling / running stuff.

Yes, I am aware I still need to put doors and a closing panel on it!

IMG_20230515_165607099.jpg

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Metal detecting sounds interesting. I know someone with a small farm that has an earthwork structure that was supposedly used by a medieval King of England to shelter from rain in while hunting. It of course predates that king being a much earlier construction like a burial mound. I wonder if there's anything in that field. I reckon I'd get permission indeed I bet they'd be up for half of anything found that we could get money for legally.

simongt

Guru
Now I've actually retired, my proposed 'hobbies / interests' list includes;
Watercolour painting, drawing, railway history, whittling, playing music, relearning French.
All these will be a fairly steep learning / relearning curve, but what's the hurry - ? :rolleyes:
Enjoying the journey is the main attraction - ! :okay:

Top Bottom