Hobby suggestion thread!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Hard to suggest hobbies as we are all different, but i play an electronic organ and i do astronomy. I have others too but seldom have the time for much else. I highly recommend instrument playing and astronomy.

icowden

Veteran
How about suggesting new hobby ideas for those looking for something new to try? I'll start,
  • For those who like exploring and treasure hunting, GeoCaching can be fun.
  • Craft kits from macrame to candle making
  • Dolls houses (collecting or building)
  • You could take up a musical instrument, or if you play one, find a local band or music group that you can play with.
  • The MiL has a knit and natter group she found on next door.
  • Cycling is a good hobby :whistle:
  • If you have a bit of cash, you could take up skiing or motorsport - driving single seaters is fun.
  • Lego building?

icowden

Veteran
Hard to suggest hobbies as we are all different, but i play an electronic organ and i do astronomy. I have others too but seldom have the time for much else. I highly recommend instrument playing and astronomy.

Tricky doing both at the same time though...

simongt

Guru
What era?
Generally from the outset. My main topic is the development, architectural, social and logistic side of the railways rather than anything to do with the rolling stock. :smile:
Christian Wolmar is a recognised authority on these points and I recently came across 'Railways. Nations, Networks & People' by Simon Bradley.; an excellent read covering many of my particular areas of interest. :okay:

Nibor

Bewildered
Origami
Making things from Paracord (Macrami?)

Attachments

• Grogu.jpg
    Grogu.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 6

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Generally from the outset. My main topic is the development, architectural, social and logistic side of the railways rather than anything to do with the rolling stock. :smile:
Christian Wolmar is a recognised authority on these points and I recently came across 'Railways. Nations, Networks & People' by Simon Bradley.; an excellent read covering many of my particular areas of interest. :okay:

Yes the social history side of things is quite interesting, I'll admit.

Archive keeping. Mine evolved from a scrapbook I started as a schoolgirl, and now I'm one of the go-to authorities on my chosen subject. A corollary of that is doing related research - identifying and restoring old photos, reconstructing lost segments of history and busting a fair few assumptions along the way.

Horology. It's fun furkling in the bargain basement for affordable vintage watches and researching them. Plus it means you've always got a nice / interesting watch to wear. (Do budget for servicing costs though.)

Scratch modelling - sky's the limit.

Any kind of artwork.

Writing. Probably the cheapest hobby out there. Something like fan fiction can be good fun if you don't want to develop a universe from scratch.

Did anyone mention cycling?

Top Bottom