How about a charity bike build?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Not being mechanical but wouldn't we all have lots of spare brake pads and nuts and very little of the big bits? And then we could end up with a 26" back wheel, 700 front wheel, suspension forks, sram gear levers but shimano cogs etc..... I think its a nice idea just that I see problems with it. Perhaps there is someone on here that can see past those problems.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
good idea, I can offer a seatpost in 27.2mm or a saddle, I'll check to see what else I may have accumulated.

I think frame and forks might be easier than people suspect, probably loads kicking around for the obligatory bike project that we know e'll never get round to, I've just given one away. Then there's the bikes at tips which you could take but know what it would cost you to build up.

A way around the build bit could be to say parts are free and winner just has to pay whoever assembled a labour charge. That person can, of course, donate this fee to the charity as well.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Got a spare saddle you can have if you want - stock item from a late 90s Cannondale.

Let me know if you want it posted anywhere...

If there's lots of multiple items there might be enough for two bikes!

Edit - Just dug out a saddle bag too!!!

montage

God Almighty
How about £1 for people who donate a part and £2 for people that don't donate anything? I don't think I have much to donate, so I would feel guilty buying a ticket for the same price as people who have given away a fair contribution.

Mmm, think this could become a bit of a problem.

For instance, finding the bottom bracket axle length and off set to suit the chain wheel.

Not impossible but I wish you luck.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I suppose the starting point would need to be designating a bike builder. That way everyone would know where to send the parts. Give the builder full autonomy and they could just run rolling bike builds, matching what they get and binning the useless stuff. Maybe a list could be held of progress, parts needed and parts already in stock.

Doesn't need to be a raffle, as the bike/bikes built wouldn't suit everyone ayway. Maybe just offered at a good price plus labour, proceeds to charity.

Just throwing ideas out but probably getting close to some sort of recycling idea here. Could be too much to lay on one builder, perhaps multiple builders and a bit of a competition for 'prettiest' build?

User76 said:
So between us we have ordered shirts, buffs, organised rides, a whole forum gathering, given each other bikes, bits and bobs, knowledge, dvds, cds, even one:sad:, visited some people in hospital, advice on legal, health and divorce issues and you think we can't manage to work out the correct length and type of a Bottom Bracket?

I did highlight the whole BB issue in earlier posts. So why don't we keep it simple and try to come up with solutions instead of problems? Lets face it, the only stumbling block really is the BB, everything should pretty much slot together nicely. So we need the type of chainset as a starting point, then the gearing then the BB length and type of axle can be worked out from there. It'll be a little problematic, but it's hardly bloody rocket science:rolleyes:

Positivity Mr Hilldodger:thumbsup:

I didn't say it was rocket science - I said it would be difficult. We build bikes up from parts every day and I know how frustratng it can be and we have a full workshop and a huge stock of parts.

You need to specify EXACTLY what you want and not just get people to send stuff in.

MichaelM

Guru
Are we using Campag or Shimano?

:sad:

and will it be 8,9,10, or 11speed?

On a more positive note, I've got a 9 speed cassette.
Also I think the first item you'd need would be a frame, then you'd know what diameter seatpost is needed, spacing of rear hub, size of front mech clamp, threaded/threadless headset, and what kind of brakes are needed.

I don't have a spare frame though sorry.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
User76 said:
So we need the type of chainset as a starting point, then the gearing then the BB length and type of axle can be worked out from there. It'll be a little problematic, but it's hardly bloody rocket science:rolleyes:
:

You are already beyond me technically.... I didn't realise the BB / chainset was such a critical thing.

I like the idea of two different rates of tickets... for the people feeling guilty about not supplying parts.

Shaun

Founder
I've got some bits and I'd gladly buy a couple of tickets ... if that helps at all? :tongue:

Maybe bring the bits to the CC meet-up and off-load hand them over to the nutcase fantastic volunteer builder?

I'm always amazed at how inventive you lot can be ... warms the cockles so it does ... :biggrin:

Noodley

YACF managed to build a bike from donations.

No reason why CC could not do it. Mind you it's taken about 23 years to get a jersey from the middle of England to the Scottish Borders...:biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
you need the bikebuilder first, then the frame and then the bike builder needs to specify exactly what is needed next. shouldn't be too hard.

Top Bottom