How do you cope with hills?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

blazed

220lb+
Ha that sounds familiar!
Single speed really build your arm and upper body strength!

I have a free wheel but still find a number of advantages. Cheaper and lighter than an equivalent geared bike, less to go wrong, easier to clean and maintain and for simpletons like me, less brain space taken up by distracting gear changes.
I also ride distances just as fast as geared companions which maybe down to the increased fitness associated with riding ss. Just cos you don't see the point doesn't mean no-one else does or does everyone have to think the same in your world view?

There is zero increased fitness from riding fixed or single speed compared to geared. I don't think about what is cheaper or what distracts my brain changing gears or is easier to maintain. So when I said there is no practical reason to riding fixed I meant in terms of speed. You will always be slower and at a disadvantage on fixed or single speed.

Sharky

Guru
Some good stories on http://www.fixedwheel.co.uk/fixedwheel records.htm

Including Chris Boardmans comp record on fixed. No ordinary rider, but he beat his own geared time!

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Welcome @Kaatje!
Imo, unless you are super fit, if you want to do lots of hilly riding eventually you'll need a geared bike. One bike is never enough anyway :biggrin:
I like singlespeed, less to clean, no blinking derailleur to bend - am afflicted!
but for serious hills in company, when you don't really want to hold up others, gears are more practical. Lots of low gears :biggrin:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Having ridden most events this year on fixed, including an SR series and Paris-Brest-Paris, I think I can say that most hills are manageable. Yes you do need a bit more strength on the steeper ones, but that comes quite quickly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

Kaatje

I'm new to cycling and my choice of a single speed (with flip flop hub) was more down to practical reasons, rather than it being the cool bike to have. Low maintenance appealed to me. My first adult bike was a folding bike, it worked, well sort of, the gears were a bit dodgy so I stayed in 5th gear and that was that.

My commute is flat, I just wanted to go faster than the folding bike could take me, so I did my research and went for the bike I have now. I don't intend to target large difficult hills, nor hold people up (which I didn't do on my last ride), my aim is to enjoy riding wherever it is.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
I normally give it a big burst before a hill and just try to keep the momentum. The last ride i did with the forum and my highest single day mileage ever,had a few lumps but i found i was as capable as my geared friends on all the terrains thrown at me and my trusty Boardman.

Last edited:

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
Yep, hills get easier with practise. I ride 42/16 and living on the border with Wales it was a case of get up or get off. Riding fixed helped me by increasing my cadence, developing leg strength and conserving momentum.

Citius

Yep, hills get easier with FITNESS

FTFY

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Up to a certain steepness there's a rhythm/speed beyond which effort increases without equivalent increase in speed. Trying to push harder just tires you out. On steeper hills it's just a question of putting your nose towards the front tyre and graunching...or walking.

Secure cleats or toestraps are a must. You will get fitter, because there's no falling back to a lower gear.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
PS you want fixed not single speed. 46x16 here and I just ride up them, usually quicker than my geared commuters. Got a few on my route.

OP
OP
K

Kaatje

I'm going to flip the wheel at some point to see what fixed is like, on a test, non commute day. I only thing that makes me a bit nervous is the amount of traffic lights/junctions I'll have to contend with on a normal commute, about 14 or so down the main road. So it'll take some practice to gain confidence and get used to it (I have both brakes though).

totallyfixed

Veteran
I'm going to flip the wheel at some point to see what fixed is like, on a test, non commute day. I only thing that makes me a bit nervous is the amount of traffic lights/junctions I'll have to contend with on a normal commute, about 14 or so down the main road. So it'll take some practice to gain confidence and get used to it (I have both brakes though).
Anticipation is a great thing to have with fixed, in no time at all you will find yourself thinking ahead, much more so than on a freewheel. In your position I think I would try it the first time when it is quiet unless there is somewhere you can ride a bit less busy. My better half was also a tad nervous the first time but after a couple of rides absolutely loved it. Good luck.

zigzag

Veteran
you'll cope better with hills if you ride them more often. 42x16 is a good universal gear, if climbing gets tough try to rotate the cranks, not just push them down. i personally did not find any advantage with fixed, so after few months trial went back to freewheel which is (to me) superior as it lets me descend the hills without a "speed limiter". ss is just as fast (or even faster) as a geared bike on the right terrain and by right terrain i mean no stupidly steep hills. my quickest 200k audax was done on ss bike as well, on 52x16 gear.
keep at it and hills will become easier.

robgul

Legendary Member
I've just upgraded my fixed from 2 gears (i.e. turn the wheel round!) to a Sturmey S3X 3 speed fixed hub .... gives direct gar at whatever the chainwheel/sprocket combo is (I have several sprocket options to fit) and 75% and 62.5% reduction - not ridden it much yet ... BUT it does seem to be pretty good, allowing a higher direct gear than I could manage with hills, yet still doing the hills with the lower ratios ... and a bit quicker in "top gear" on the flat. Gear changing is a bit odd as you just ease the pedal pressure as you change - bit like an old crash gearbox on a car with no synchromesh!

Rob

Top Bottom