How do you push your bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
By the saddle and steer by leaning it

like that.

Only works with the saddle in my left hand though. I look like a drunkard if try to push it right handed. Same goes trying to mount the bike from the right... i just can't do it :wacko:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I was using the one hand on the stem method. Almost everyone else had both hands on the handlebars in the same position as if they were riding. Looked very awkward to me.

the stem method is awkward for me... pedals, calves, in each other's way.
Pushing the saddle means i can step behind the bike if need be.

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
I was using the one hand on the stem method. Almost everyone else had both hands on the handlebars in the same position as if they were riding. Looked very awkward to me.
Forgive me as I have sinned, I'm one of those that pushes with both hands on the handlebars and stand to the left hand side of the bike. Front puncture push the bike wheelying on the rear wheel and for maneuvering through narrow gaps.

Right hand on the stem, except for narrow gaps and suchlike, at which point it's vertical, up on the back wheel and hands on the tops.

Until this thread, I'd never really considered how the vertical position looks from the perspective of an oncoming pedestrian. I use it quite often when wheeling through busy no-ride zones as it feels less likely to cause problems (pedals into shins, that type of thing) but perhaps a flailing 700c tyre at head height is more intimidating :rolleyes:

figbat

Slippery scientist
Either the stem method or the saddle method, depending on circumstances. When pushing up an unrideable hill it's one hand on the left bar, the other on the saddle.

presta

Guru
both hands on the handlebars in the same position as if they were riding. Looked very awkward to me.
It is very awkward, and it brings the bike closer so that you get your ankles rapped by the pedals. I only use it if I need to use the brakes.
Hold it around the top of the stem.
OK unladen, but if I do that with the panniers on, and the front wheel loses contact with the road, even for a fraction of a second over a bump, the weight of the panniers causes the whole bike to rotate around an axis drawn from the point where I'm holding the stem to the point where the rear wheel contacts the road. The effect of that is for the front wheel to kick in the air and hit a pedestrian, followed immediately after by the stem twisting from my grasp, and the bike falling on the ground.

So I always wheel it...
By the saddle and steer by leaning it
except when I crossed this bridge, in which case I had to remove the panniers, stand behind the bike, and hold it by the rear of the rack:
606293_aed6dd33.jpg

Alex321

Veteran
It is very awkward, and it brings the bike closer so that you get your ankles rapped by the pedals. I only use it if I need to use the brakes.

OK unladen, but if I do that with the panniers on, and the front wheel loses contact with the road, even for a fraction of a second over a bump, the weight of the panniers causes the whole bike to rotate around an axis drawn from the point where I'm holding the stem to the point where the rear wheel contacts the road. The effect of that is for the front wheel to kick in the air and hit a pedestrian, followed immediately after by the stem twisting from my grasp, and the bike falling on the ground.

I can't actually imagine that happening. Nowadays I don't have panniers anyhow, but when I did used to commute with panniers, they were never anywhere near heavy enough to have that sort of effect.

I doubt many modern racks would take the weight of panniers that would cause that.

OP
OP
S

Seevio

Guru
While the weirdos good people of Oxford tend to favour the 2 hands on bars approach, there were some outliers. Apart from 1 hand on stem, I also saw one hand on bars, one hand on saddle. This last almost makes you turn sideways to push.

Top Bottom