Votes: 374 26.3%
  • 11-15 miles

Votes: 300 21.1%
  • 16-20 miles

Votes: 167 11.8%
  • >20 miles

Votes: 251 17.7%

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
These days around 18ft.......

22 miles. I'm only a fair weather commuter right now. I have done it year round at a different job, that was 17 miles, then 13 miles after the office moved. in my opinion 13 is the perfect distance. long enough for a work out & to justify the prep & resources at the office. 22 miles is a bit much, but it's OK in my industry's off-season, when the work load is light, the boss man vacations more & I have flexibility w/ my hours. had to skip the summer of covid ;-(

if you're bored, but not bored enough

View: https://youtu.be/WTLpXHXJDQs

Last edited:

Rikolet

Regular
Up to 15, straight to work and back, three times a week. If the weather permits I extend the way back home as possible, to 20 or even more.

I used to cycle after work (or on weekends) to the climbing wall and then back home.

Hope soon will be doing the same again! :smile:

Solocle

Über Member
3 miles direct. It would be closer to 1.5 if I could cycle along the train line across Hole's Bay...

Bit I did once go home the looong way around, round the whole of Poole Harbour, catching the Sandbanks Ferry. 25 miles.

1 flight of stairs, then I have a coffe and cake stop, then back up the same flight of stairs.

I commute several times a day.

tweaking my checklist, for when I do the 22 miles each way, again, sometime soon. we had snow flurries yesterday but expecting daytime temps in the mid-70sF next week!

stock at work w/ car the day before
  • vitamins & regular supplements I take daily, add magnesium, potassium, calcium & sodium
  • bike lock
  • something else to eat that’s easy on the stomach
for the ride home
  • fresh head-sweat
  • fresh cycling shorts
  • fresh shirt
for wash up, w/o shower
  • diluted shampoo
  • washcloth
  • hair cream
  • deodorant
  • 2 hand towels
  • small travel hair dryer
  • bottom wipes
for the work day
  • underwear
  • socks
  • shoes
  • pants
  • shirt & undershirt
for the ride home
  • re-use cycling socks
  • re-use mtb shorts / pants
what to bring on bike that morning
  • road bike tubes (2)
  • something else to eat that’s easy on the stomach
  • office keys
  • wallet, cash, cell phone
  • the usual cycling mumbo jumbo, lights, camera, trunk w/cycling supplies, etc
if it's a Friday, what to bring home on bike
  • underwear (aka cycling shorts) & shirt from ride in (everything else should keep 'till Monday when I come back w/ the car)

Robin Banx

I work in the NHS and have recently moved to a new hospital. Just done a trial run before my night shifts start, 8.39 miles one way, mostly on shared use paths, with 332 ft of ascent.
A lot easier on the legs than my previous one, just on 11 very lumpy miles each way.

Alex321

Veteran
Went in to the office today for only the 2nd time since March last year.
15.97 miles in, 15.2 home (took a wrong turn on way in).

Carrying all I needed in a rucksack on my back - Laptop, keyboard, mouse, power supply. Work trousers, underpants, socks, t-shirt and trainers. Forgot a towel, so had to dry myself after shower using the roll of blue paper "towels" that was there with a disinfectant spray.

Faster on the way in than the way home, partly because more uphill home, partly because the turn I missed n the way in was for the Ely trail, which is about 1/3 gravel trail, so was quite slow when I did it on the way home. I haven't really ridden this way before, because we moved house just after the first lockdown, so still working out the best route.

I've been riding my new 15k commute for a few months now, so it's becoming familiar and routine, and the distance is becoming broken up into landmarks. It's going well, but I appreciate that I'm spoiled because it's flat and most of it is on traffic free cycleways.
yeah I have fond memories of a cpl diff. rides & even my current one. there are landmarks & diff. sections. one can mentally absorb or prepare for

Top Bottom