How long to get used to riding a fixed/SS?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
I was planning on keeping the stem, it's just an inch or so high at the moment and I can't lower it! The expanding cone/wedge nut thingy is out, but I guess the aluminium stem has corroded solidly into the steel frame. A quick google suggests this may not be fixable without destroying and removing the stem, in which case I'll probably just live with the bars being a bit high.

OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
What do people reckon to using toe straps/clips with a fixed gear? I use these on all my other bikes (well, the old roadsters have clonking great big flats) and would rather stick with these than getting clip-in shoes and pedals if possible.

Old Plodder

Living at the top of a steep 2 mile climb
I used to use clips & straps with fixed, for the very reason that that is what I was used to riding in.
You have to start off slowly & get both feet in, else you won't be able to, or at least I couldn't.
Edit: I used them slightly loose/did not pull them up tight.

Whilst you can get used to general fixed riding in a few weeks, I reckon it took me the best part of a year to get 'comfortable' riding fast down hills. At first I couldn't manage much more than 25mph (72" gear/116rpm) but these days I'm happy up to about 170rpm and can manage 180 if the road's smooth and straight'ish.

DaveS

To answer the original question, it is all about mindset. On a geared bike we concentrate on making the most efficient use of the kit, on a single we concentrate on making the most efficient use of our bodies. Of you can make that mental switch, then only a matter of hours. If you can't, then, never.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Doesn`t take long at all and I rode for 5 yrs on fixed before purchasing geared road bikes. In that time I changed and altered my gearing as my original 42 x 16 was to spinney . If you want to improve your leg speed and strength IMO its great.

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
It took me about a week and a half as had problems clipping into single sided cleats so swapped those for double sided ones. Once that was sorted it was a lot easier. Setting my pedals at traffic lights took a few goes to get right but the actual continual pedalling on fixed was fine and is one of the things I love about cycling fixed.

Top Bottom