How many miles was your LEJOG or JOGLE?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theloafer

Legendary Member

mikeIow

Guru
My LEJOG ended on 929 which I thought and still do think a lovely number. 31,000 ft climbing. Went off route a few times so I think that could have been under 920.
31,000ft climbing? Pffft: according to Strava, mine went up 61,000ft 🤪

Mine hit 1,089 miles, but that did go via Leicester, then on to Marsden (a hilly Yorkshire Dales route), Lockerbie, then a beautiful 82-miles over the Borders to Edinburgh before ambling up via the Crask Inn.

Great fun!

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
A friend of mine did it recently, it was 1,776km/1,104 mi. 14,307m ascent. 15 days.

Route was roughly: LE, Bristol, Rugby, Nottingham, York, Tyneside, Berwick u Tweed, Edinburgh, Callander, Inverness, JOG

Last edited:

AlanW

Guru
There’s an extra 20 miles slipped in there?

Ha ha...your right, 920 miles unless you want me to go and add the extra miles on

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My mate also had astonishingly good weather. We got caught by a brief heavy shower near Bristol when I was riding with him, and his (short) last day was rainy. Apart from that, sunny all the way.

Tribansman

Veteran
As it says.. How many miles was your LEJOG or JOGLE?

Not sure what the shortest possible route is but I totted up 1,100 miles in 15 days, with a diversion via Arran, Mull and Gilchoan.
Screenshot_20210625-232138_Chrome~2.jpg

But, but....you did yours in the FUTURE?! :eek:
What state were the roads in, and was JOG nearly under water? :laugh:

Actually...your route and mileage was very similar to mine, I did 1070. I was incredibly lucky with the weather...in April! Apart from one afternoon of rain the rest of the 14 days were dry and mostly sunny. Got a pretty deep tan and lost about 5kg. One of my most vivid memories of the whole trip was watching the news in a B&B in Dumfries showing the statue of Saddam Hussein being pulled down! Oh, and being refused accommodation on the first night in Cornwall as the snooty guy that ran the place said I looked like I was shifty and maybe 'on the run' from something 🤣 (wouldn't believe I would be doing LEJOG on my own :wacko:). He probably just didn't want a sweaty cyclist soiling his sheets. I was pretty out of shape and bedraggled when I started, but what a bizzare thing to come out with. Was only 20 at the time and not particularly assertive, so meekly cycled on to the next village where thankfully I got a proper welcome and a cream tea thrown in!

Was back in 2003 so no smartphone and no GPS device. Navigation was a challenge but somehow worked - highlighter on torn out pages of a large road atlas and followed signposts. Did it mostly on B and minor roads too. Got to say, much prefer the reassurance of my Wahoo!

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
View attachment 595811
But, but....you did yours in the FUTURE?! :eek:
What state were the roads in, and was JOG nearly under water? :laugh:

Actually...your route and mileage was very similar to mine, I did 1070. I was incredibly lucky with the weather...in April! Apart from one afternoon of rain the rest of the 14 days were dry and mostly sunny. Got a pretty deep tan and lost about 5kg. One of my most vivid memories of the whole trip was watching the news in a B&B in Dumfries showing the statue of Saddam Hussein being pulled down! Oh, and being refused accommodation on the first night in Cornwall as the snooty guy that ran the place said I looked like I was shifty and maybe 'on the run' from something 🤣 (wouldn't believe I would be doing LEJOG on my own :wacko:). He probably just didn't want a sweaty cyclist soiling his sheets. I was pretty out of shape and bedraggled when I started, but what a bizzare thing to come out with. Was only 20 at the time and not particularly assertive, so meekly cycled on to the next village where thankfully I got a proper welcome and a cream tea thrown in!

Was back in 2003 so no smartphone and no GPS device. Navigation was a challenge but somehow worked - highlighter on torn out pages of a large road atlas and followed signposts. Did it mostly on B and minor roads too. Got to say, much prefer the reassurance of my Wahoo!
Ahhhh.. You spotted my time travel error! Too late to correct it now :laugh:

I did a full write up of mine in the LEJOG section, so won't rewrite it here.
I also carried torn out pages of an atlas witb my route on it as I didn't want to totally trust technology (even though I had no problems with it)

Top Bottom