How much does your bag slow you down?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ShinSplint

Been commuting a a fair but recently. In my bag I usually have quite a bit of stuff, and I would guess it takes about 1-2 mph average off my usual pace (like for like degree of effort).

Do you guys notice much difference?

I think im gonna bring a full set of work clothes in to work and leave my bag at home next time, and see what difference it makes.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
it's all in your mind

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I think it's probably a bit more noticeable in the winter when there's more "what if" stuff in the bag. Extra gloves, change of top, spare batteries etc.

I tried the taking a full set of clothes thing in, found i spent so much time worrying that there would be some clothes waiting in the office that i'd take another set anyway to be on the safe side, irrational i know.

My pannier does slow me down - the bike feels totally different when I ride without any kind of a bag at all - but then my commute is hilly, so any additional weight does make a difference you can feel.

I try to keep the weight I carry in it down to the bare minimum, but some days, it's really unavoidably quite full. I have to carry books quite often, and that makes it a lot heavier.

Chamfus Flange

I always found the greatest effect is not the weight of bag (or pannier) but the fact it's a cummute. Stop-start all the way. As a result I'm one or two mph down on where I'd be on a pure road ride.

Has anyone notice being able to go home faster than to work?

BentMikey said:
On the contrary, my "bag" speeds up my ride by 1-2mph:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ls-mike/3878648578/

I doubt that.:becool:

My pannier does slow me down

Yeah wonder if I should take my pannier rack off.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Chamfus Flange said:
I always found the greatest effect is not the weight of bag (or pannier) but the fact it's a cummute. Stop-start all the way. As a result I'm one or two mph down on where I'd be on a pure road ride.

Has anyone notice being able to go home faster than to work?

+1 My point exactly, can't see how you would notice on a busy commute. But a straight road ride will always be quicker, regardless of luggage

Windward

I ride a Galaxy, and I'm convinced that it handles better and feels more comfortable when I have heavyish loads in my panniers! I don't know if I go faster or slower, but it feels faster :becool:

ps. I know what you mean Jeez, but when loaded I do feel it's harder to accelerate, which does make a difference in stop start traffic! I prefer carrying heavy loads when there's no stopping and the inertia makes it almost disappear on flat roads :smile:

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
hackbike 666 said:
I doubt that.:becool:

My pannier does slow me down

Yeah wonder if I should take my pannier rack off.

Aerodynamic recumbent tailbox - they most definitely have a small effect on your speed above 15-20mph. This one is smaller and thus has less effect than the other tailbox I had on the Hurricane.

garrilla

I really notice which laptop I have with me. If I have my HP Elitebook (11lbs inc PSU) I drop an average of 1mph compared to when I take my NC10 (3ilbs inc PSU)

In reality though, over a 15 mile ride its a difference of about a minute. So well with i the general variance caused by weather, traffic, etc. So in this sense its not that noticeable.

OP
OP
S

ShinSplint

There's a few reasons I think the bag slows me down just a tad:

1. I commute on my light race bike, so any additional weight is noticeable.
2. I rarely have to stop on my route, so my average speed is accurate.
3. My bag weighs near enough the same as the bike, so im almost doubling the load.

Also, if I don't have my bag I tend to stand up and power up slight inclines more. With the bad jiggling about, I often can't be arsed as its more tempting to stay seated.

Which reminds me, I should tighten the straps to stop help prevent the jigglage !

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
My panniers definitely slow me down. I carry a lot of gear to work to transform me from cycle caterpillar into workplace butterfly and it's heavy.

My commute is the same route I take into central London on the weekends and for social stuff and I definitely notice when the weight's off. On the plus side it means that when I do long-distance social rides with a smaller bag I feel that much lighter and it makes distance feel much easier.

Top Bottom