How my love of cycling disappeared...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

Great post.

I was going to retire next year, but now I don't think I can risk it.

Graham

I retired at Christmas and I'm getting out two-three times a week for fifty-sixty mile rides, some of which have been make it up as you go along rides, some have been rides out to meet friends and some have been rides to well known cafe's on well known routes..

I'm 32 and my legs just reply "sod off" if I try and get anything extra out of them these days to the extend I've bought a turbo trainer to teach them a lesson!

I'm really happy to read of your return to cycling, mine came about after watching Trott and Kenny wipe the bankings with everyone in Rio
I was just the right age to get caught up in the mountain bike craze that hit in the early 90's and rode lots, mum used to find the summer holidays relaxing, up until the point at which we didn't turn up on time for lunch or tea as we'd ridden too far / lost track of time.

Went to uni, bike became transport, fun transport. It took less than 10 mins to walk from uni back to halls, I could take 40 mins on the bike having visited most corners of the city centre!
married someone with a car but kept cycling where possible as transport before being forced to move away and ended up with a train ride to work followed by needing motorised transport and that's been my decent into being rather more round than I used to be...

had good weather lately for yourself getting out on the bike?

Plax

Guru
Superb post. I've fallen off the cycling wagon for a few years now, probably for some of the same reasons as yourself - I started seeing it as a chore, a total hassle. I remember I used to wake up and the first thing I'd think of was what the weather was like. Now I just hit snooze. I used to go out on a leisure ride practically every weekend.
I have a whole list of other excuses - an increase in traffic (and subsequent d*ckh@ds), needing a new set of rims (I *still* haven't sorted this), too many hills, it's always raining, it's always windy etc etc. Maybe one day I will get back on the saddle.

Top Bottom