How 'snug' should a base layer be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I have been reading a lot of comments on here about base layers, especially during the cold weather we had but I reckon one would be handy for the cooler days still to come when just a cycle shirt won't suffice. With this is mind I pootled over to Decathlon in Stockport today and bought one of THESE. I picked a large as according to the pack it was good for 38"-41" chest (that'll be me then!) but when I got it home to try on it looked a bit small when I took it out of the packet. It's no problem as it is really stretchy and I can get it on and off quite easily and it isn't uncomfortably tight, well not for the few minutes I tried it. I just didn't expect it to be so.... snug?

Is this right or should I consider the next size up? It will never be worn in public so even though, as my caring and thoughtful wife pointed out, it isn't very flattering, this doesn't matter as there will always be a minimum of at least a cycle shirt over the top.

So, what do you reckon guys? Should it be indecently skin tight (but still comfy) or should I move up a size and maybe just go for 'fitted' and is it best tight against the skin for maximum wicking effect?

subaqua

What’s the point
mine are close to the skin but not "snug" but i don't like it to be too tight ( fnaar fnaaar)

my diving base layers are the same and they kept me warm on some fairly long dives in cold temps.

JonnyBlade

Live to Ride
Mine are body hugging :tongue: Goes back to my running days when loose under garments left you prone to sore nipples ................. not very nice I can tell you

Old habits die hard and I just feel comfortable that way. Also, it means most of the sweat dissipates as opposed to if I wore loose fitting garments

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
They are meant to wick sweat away, so they work best if touching the skin. As long as they don't feel tight, and as long as it doesn't restrict your movement at all, it should be OK.

GrasB

Veteran
As a general rule the next-to-skin base layer needs to be snug. However as you progress from intermediary base layers to mid layers then they want to be a loser fit.

stephec

Legendary Member
I'm a 40" chest and take a large Decathlon base layer, nice and snug without being too tight and restrictive.

By the way, have you noticed how a Uk large in Decathlon is also labelled as a US medium? :biggrin:

400bhp

Guru
Depends on what you find comfortable.

Too tight and it will restrict movement and annoy you. Too loose and it will mean you will struggle to put clothes over the top.

If it helps, my particular decathlon base layer is the running t-shirt wich type and is of a size I wouldn't wear in public with a pair of jeans.

Anyway...it's nearly summer. What the hell are you doing buying base layers :whistle:

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Depends on what you find comfortable.

Too tight and it will restrict movement and annoy you. ..........

Anyway...it's nearly summer. What the hell are you doing buying base layers :whistle:

I wore it for 15 minutes this morning and it annoyed me by continually riding up, so it's back in the pack and will be exchanged for the next size up.

I know it's nearly summer and I had a lovely 20 mile trip yesterday (to Decathlon to buy my base layer) in just a cycle shirt which was just right but I reckon we still have some cold days to contend with yet and as I have absolutely no base layers at all I want one or two in the draw in readyness and don't want to be in a panic next autumn when it starts getting frosty again. The seasons are merging into a blur as I get older!

NotFabian

EACC
+1 on still baselayer weather, mornings anyway, I'm still wearing 2 layers on the into work commute and at least u can remove the inner layer if u get hot, Decathlon large sounds like the ticket.

Top Bottom