How to buy a Touring bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Tours are usually 14 days in B&B's carrying Ortliebs with about 15kg of stuff in them. Distances are 40-60 miles with no more than 4000ft climbs - from RWGPS tracks.

Sonder have come back quickly which is really impressive. The email to Koga (WT?) has gone unanswered but assume they don't have representation in the UK.

You'd do that on a good Audax bike, no need for a mahoosive frame but a decent back wheel with plenty of spokes would be a must for me.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Sonder do Tourers and you can trial them but there's a fee. I believe Spa also let you demo them but I doubt it will be for a week.

Spa let me go off on a ride round Harrogate. They suggested a route. I was gone for an hour or so. I think they would have been miffed if I'd been gone for a week. Also my wife, who was sitting the shop drinking tea and doing the crossword, might not have been best pleased.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I don't think I could buy something from SPA after the owner said "Go Suck your Mum" to someone who complained. I had a bad experience with a wheelset they messed up. So I wouldn't deal with them personally.

Jameshow

Veteran
Spa let me go off on a ride round Harrogate. They suggested a route. I was gone for an hour or so. I think they would have been miffed if I'd been gone for a week. Also my wife, who was sitting the shop drinking tea and doing the crossword, might not have been best pleased.

I would have taken the bike and left the wife in a 1960's comedy sketch way! Result!🤣🤣🤣

I think that in order to be that specific about what you want, you would be well served by a custom made frame. You don't have to buy it in one go and you could have it for years. My preference would be Vernon Barker, I think.

If you're thinking you might be in a position that you have to leave your bike somewhere because of mechanical failure, it would make more sense to learn how to do your own repairs or go MUCH cheaper. I couldn't sell a Dawes Horizon for 40 quid on this site about a year ago. Old tech, yes, but IRL I doubt that would make any difference. It's not as if people all died before bikes had disc brakes.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Really good for the money, especially with the bags and racks etc.

If it was nearer to me I would have it no issues

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Only snag being it is an Aluminium frame

Still very good for the money. It looks like there's hardly any wear to the drive train etc, decent tyres as well. The only thing I wouldn't be keen on is those bars, but they could be easily changed or kept on if you can get on with them etc.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
While we're bothering muppetplace, this TdF 20 looks very nice; if not particuarly cheap (not sure what year / what it would have gone for new)..

380369328_6367303436711478_8585143012443789196_n.jpg

Having gone back and read your first post I'll throw this into the pot for anyone to consider.....
Lost a derailleur and the only bikeshop can't get one (or doesn't want to)? Amazon is your friend.

It's entirely possible to select all your components in advance and have them on a wishlist or in your basket ready for overnight delivery (in the Western world).

Other than wheelbase and "tourer" there's not a lot to work on.

Wheelbase wasn't a factor for me, although I did look at the length of the chainstays. Having said that, I was buying in NL where I was of less than average height. ^_^

One thing I'd definitely consider for a bike I would have for a long time is S&S coupling or even a folding bike. Plane transport cost is at an historical low and won't stay that way. Train transport is the future, especially in Europe.

I can't see many sellers offering a week's trial.

If there is no time pressure I'd be keeping an eye on all the usual places where quality second hand bikes show up. There is a regular supply of folk who buy new, get the gear and never head away. Some good bargains to be had.

Alternatively, look at your packing and what you carry. Lightening the load or making it more compact might mean you could expand out of the "tourer" area.

Even more alternatively, if wedded to the idea of 2 panniers, have a look at something like the X-trawheel trailer. A mono wheel trailer (spare wheel in event of problems) that can be attached to your favourite bike.

Top Bottom