How to sell your stuff on ebay or classifieds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....Category=42328&_trkparms=algo=LVI&its=I&otn=2

I had to post a link to this guys ebay items to show how selling should be done.
When you can tear your eyes away from the fabulous goodies he has for sale just look at how he presents it. Masterly ............this is how it should be done.

Each item is carefully arranged within the picture frame to maximise the item then carefully cropped to remove every single bit of useless background. (Buyers want to inspect the item they are buying not your unkempt garden or untidy living room.:laugh:)

The item is well lit to eliminate dark areas so the every part of the item is evenly lit and clearly visable.
The background has been chosen to highlight the item not to dominate and most importantly the background is not too light in colour.

NEVER USE A WHITE BACKGROUND

Light backgrounds (eg white)confuse your camera's light sensor . The consequence of this is that the camera automatically shuts down your lens diaphram to compensate for the amount of bright areas therebye reducing the light gathering power. The result is that any dark or black items will simply end up a black featureless blob.

Your camera's sensor doesn't know you want to show the tiny black object in a sea of white background so it concentrates on the predominant colour white.
Tip , use a new towel as a backdrop for smaller items. Yellow, blue , purple, avoid very dark or very light colours particularly avoid reds which don't reproduce well on monitors.

Heres a black coloured item that I sold recently . Black items are notoriously difficult to show clearly with detail.If I tell you that I sold two of these cameras at 10pm at night within 2 hours of listing them I'm sure that you will agree the power of a good picture and pursuasive text has on selling your item.
DSCF0025.jpg

These simple tips will ensure that you'll sell your items quickly and for the best price possible. The buyer can see exactly what he is getting , they can see the condition and what is included and what isn't .

This openess engenders trust as the buyer knows that you are not trying to hide anything and therefore gives them the confidence to buy at the highest price.

The items are attractively arranged which encourages purchase (not that cyclists need much encouragement to spend money on bike bits :wub:)
Hope these tips will be useful

Mr Pig

Yes, nice ad.

On the subject of camera light and focus sensors. You can trick them quite easily by pointing the camera away from the subject when activating them. If for instance you're having trouble focusing on an item that's too close, point the camera at an object behind the one you're shooting, half press the button to activate the auto focus them move back to the subject.

I like to keep my ads simple and clean but over the years I've watched many sales and I've seen little correlation between the design of the ad and the success of the sale. What the seller says seems far more important and there are other factors that kill sales though, like the seller having no feedback!

Sorry but that pic of the cassette is awful - the top edge merges into the background rendering it indistinct.

The Mirage ergo levers is an equally bad photo of a very inferior product and I would advise no one else to bid on it;)

OP
OP
P

peanut

Mr Pig said:
Yes, nice ad.

On the subject of camera light and focus sensors. You can trick them quite easily by pointing the camera away from the subject when activating them. , half press the button to activate the auto focus them move back to the subject.

yes thats a very important point to make about using digital cameras that the majority of users are unaware of.

You need to point the camera at the main object and half press the button so that the camera focuses on the subject. Then keeping the button half depressed position your camera and yourself so as to best frame your subject before fully depressing the button.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
On the subject of e-bay, can you explain please, the difference between a starting price and a reserve price. If an item has a starting price of 99p but says the reserve has not been met, what does that mean? Why don't they put the starting bid at their reserve price? :biggrin:

Mr Pig

The start price is what it says, it's what the bidding will start at.

The reserve price is the least that you will accept for the item. So although the bidding can start lower than the reserve, if the reserve is not met the item will remain unsold.

So if your reserve is £10 and the bidding starts at £1 and goes up to £7 by the end of the auction the item will not be sold as the reserve is not met.

It's like saying, I reserve the right to not sell this item unless I get this much for it. Stops items selling for ridiculously low prices.

Mr Pig

Items sell better if the bidding starts low. People seem happy to start bidding low amounts and less keen on starting high. It also encourages bidding if other people have already bid, hence wanting to start low.

I'm not keen on reserves myself and tend to start the bidding at the lowest price I would accept. Not always possible on high-value items but Im not so keen on selling those on eBay anyway, the rules are too much in the buyer's favour now.

I tried to sell a bonnet for an MGB some time ago and put a fairly high starting price of about £50 and reserve price of £75 on it. Sadly it failed to reach the reserve, but a few weeks later I put it on at a 99p start with no reserve and it sold for over £150. Low starts that attract plenty of bids do seem to develop a sense of 'ownership' of an item before the bidder has won it - that means they do not want it to get away at the last minute and bid accordingly. I now sell everything that way, and the vast majority of times it works well.

Mr Pig

xpc316e said:
Low starts seem to develop a sense of 'ownership' of an item before the bidder has won it

That's a good way of putting it. Risky though. If you do start low with no reserve you can end up selling the thing for nothing!

OP
OP
P

peanut

Mr Pig said:
That's a good way of putting it. Risky though. If you do start low with no reserve you can end up selling the thing for nothing!

most ebay sellers list with bidders kept private that way they can use their wife's or friends ebay account to bid items up. Its very common and is easily spotted when you get a string of small bids feeling out the max bid sumitted.

Noodley

peanut said:
If I tell you that I sold two of these cameras at 10pm at night within 2 hours of listing them I'm sure that you will agree the power of a good picture and pursuasive text has on selling your item.

As one of the people who bought one of the cameras can I just highlight I have no recollection of there having been a picture. There may very well have been (and I had to check the advert to confirm there was) but my first recollection of knowing what it looked like was when it arrived.

So maybe pictures are not as powerful as a good price :angry:

Fabulous camera BTW... I have taken hundreds of pics with it.

Mr Pig

peanut said:
they can use their wife's or friends ebay account to bid items up. Its very common.

I don't care what sellers do. If I want an item I decide what I want to pay, bid that at the last second and no more. So if I get it I'm happy and if it sells for more I'm not bothered as I didn't want to pay more anyway.

OP
OP
P

peanut

Noodley said:
So maybe pictures are not as powerful as a good price :becool:

Fabulous camera BTW... I have taken hundreds of pics with it.

It must have been my persuasive text then unless I sold them too cheap . I want it back:biggrin:

Top Bottom